Best 100 Dollars you ever spent on Bonsai

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey now, Jersey ain't too far....and I got a ton of Maples! :cool:

....don't fret, though, chances of me breaking away for something of this nature are lottery-type odds!!:(

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It feels good to help folks who need help, turns out the best $100 I ever spent was @LanceMac10 's!

See how good it feels to spend this hundred!

Big thanks for all of your support!

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m tempted by the sekkas at eisei en,...(especially material that expensive)
Thought of you when I saw this listing below. Sekka appears to be a "name brand" not found outside of the bonsai hobby.
It is conceivable that the Chirimen hinoki is the same cultivar. I don't know, but it presents the same, and sports the same blue green foliage.

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thought of you when I saw this listing below. Sekka appears to be a "name brand" not found outside of the bonsai hobby.
It is conceivable that the Chirimen hinoki is the same cultivar. I don't know, but it presents the same, and sports the same blue green foliage.

Thank you! If nothing else picking up something very close to a sekka that’s a fraction of the price is a good place to start for someone like me. Foliage is very close to the sekkas I’ve seen online

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you! If nothing else picking up something very close to a sekka that’s a fraction of the price is a good place to start for someone like me. Foliage is very close to the sekkas I’ve seen online
One of the 2 sekkas I bought last year came from
It is healthy, and full.
The 2020 availability has ended. They come in 1 gallon pots for $60 that includes shipping, available in Spring.
Coming from William Valavanis I would trust the source. Have my doubts the one on eBay will remain <$40.
If you scroll down that list I linked above just past mid ways, open the thumbnail picture of the sekka,
it looks identical to the Chirimen. Both send out those crazy shoots like the one on Ebay.
I understand they grow fast from cuttings even though a dwarf.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I definitely am saving for when my local club has another event. Everything around Charlotte NC has gone dark since about March I assume due to covid.
Bonsai society of the Carolinas (Bsoc) is alive and well. Membership is only $50, I joined this month at the January meeting. @WavyGaby is the club VP. Also, hello from Charlotte!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Back in 2019, I messaged @MACH5 for an afternoon workshop at my place, and a nighttime demo at the club. I split the workshop fee with a few members, and showed Sergio my skills potting a giant shin deshojo in a grow box in record time! 💪

This was the start of our friendship, and a year or two later he took me on as a student/apprentice.
View attachment IMG_1365.mp4

Screenshot_20240127_163508_Photos.jpg

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Back in 2019, I messaged @MACH5 for an afternoon workshop at my place, and a nighttime demo at the club. I split the workshop fee with a few members, and showed Sergio my skills potting a giant shin deshojo in a grow box in record time! 💪

This was the start of our friendship, and a year or two later he took me on as a student/apprentice.
View attachment 525984

View attachment 525985
So ...Thats what my Shindeshojo have been through....Imagined if you missed the roots and got the trunk instead 😂 😂 😂

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There are so many "best" for I have many categories and one cannot trump over another.
Perhaps it is my root slayer XL that goes with me to the swamp.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Do you have a dremel? Depending on your trees and interest in deadwood even an entry level one could have a lot of use.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Other options might be tools for repotting - root rake, root cutters, etc. I’d say with three trees though you probably would be best served with an exercise in selecting material. I’d decide on one type of tree you want to buy and commit all of it to that, but do so with a checklist of the properties you’re looking for in material to go through. Check for tree health, check for inverse taper, check for nebari, check for branching, check for “interest” - old bark, feature scarring, check for low/clean graft if any, etc. I think practice picking material worth starting the journey with is incredibly valuable.

Top Bottom