Best bonsai tool brand?

Gatorade

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just wondering opinions on who the best bonsai tool manufacture is. I know of Japanese manufacturers Masakuni, Kaneshin, kikuwa, and Ryuga. Also know there are many others. I own Kaneshin tools and they are fantastic. Even though I have not used these other brands (besides the shitty 60 dollar set on Amazon when I first started). I’m interested in knowing what others think on the subject of best bonsai tool maker. Thanks

63pmp

Shohin
Reaction score
The best is the one you can afford. I've never thought the price of masakuni was justifiable. I mostly use kaneshin, they have lost a little bit in quality over the years (I first bought kaneshin scissors in 1982, some other tools last year) I have a pair of ryuga but never use them, they just hang about in the tool box. Kikuwa are also good, Ive been happy with them. Had a very small pair of concave cutters from stone lantern which were rubbish, they broke at the shoulder near cutting edge, replaced with kaneshin and no issues.

Gatorade

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The best is the one you can afford. I've never thought the price of masakuni was justifiable. I mostly use kaneshin, they have lost a little bit in quality over the years (I first bought kaneshin scissors in 1982, some other tools last year) I have a pair of ryuga but never use them, they just hang about in the tool box. Kikuwa are also good, Ive been happy with them. Had a very small pair of concave cutters from stone lantern which were rubbish, they broke at the shoulder near cutting edge, replaced with kaneshin and no issues.
great feedback. Yea I would like to see some masakuni tools in hand because the price seems ridiculous.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Masakuni are widely considered one of the best if not the best. However as stated, the prices of most will knock your socks off.

Kaneshin and Kikuwa are also good

Most of my tools are from American Bonsai company and I've been very happy with them

I do own Masakuni needle tweezers because I was never able to find ones I liked (worked well) and were comfortable to use for long needle pulling sessions. Those get used for nothing but pulling needles. Expensive for tweezers but worth it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like the Kaneshen and Joshua Roth I have and have felt no desire to seek loftier heights

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have no idea what the best tools are but I know that I will never own them.
The best tool is a tool that functions. My off brand chinese concave cutters for 20 dollars have never let me down in 3 years time. Might replace them in 2 years because sharpening them is more expensive than replacing. So that's about 4 dollars a year. If I were to replace them with branded tools, they'd be old and rusted away before I'd reach the 4$/year break-even point. Not to forget the fact that I would have to get them sharpened every now and then for about 20USD because throwing away a 90 dollar tool because it's blunt isn't something I'd do. I think it's a never ending loop of sinking money into something I personally don't care about. I think I can live without those two tool-related compliments a year.

Found out recently that horse hoofsmiths tend to use similar tools to ours: scrapers, cutters, splitters, clippers, and so on. Same quality but a way lower price.
A wood scraper for 45 euros? How about a double sided hoof scraper, with ergonomic handle for 20?! Branch splitter? Hoof nippers are cheaper, same build quality and usually locally made.

Tools don't make the tree, it's the hands those tools are in. If you've ever seen a mechanic working with a screwdriver, you'd be amazed how little they use it to actually screw and unscrew things. I honestly can't even remember the last time I used a flathead screwdriver on a flathead screw😅

If you're in to smithing and collecting cool tools, be my guest! Those people deserve love too! I just don't get it.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The standard gardening tools I use around the yard for regular work are also suitable for many bonsai tasks. Corona and Fiskars are solid brands that are available pretty much anywhere you shop and reasonably priced. Get stainless steel where possible if you like lower maintenance. As for bonsai-specific tools, my cutters and shears are Wazakura brand, which are made in Japan. They're available on Amazon and are all very highly rated. Expect to pay $30-45 for shears or cutters in the non-stainless steel. They offer stainless steel models for about $20 or $30 more, but I have the standard steel because I'm a neat freak and very meticulous with tool maintenance. My root hooks/rakes are just whatever I found on Amazon that was highly-rated and relatively affordable. I also have several aluminum chopsticks that are handy for various tasks. When I order anything from Bonsai Jack, they give you a free one in each box. Heck, you could even keep a pair of them to eat sushi with. Just don't get those mixed up with the ones you use to dig in the dirt though. ;)

Here's a pic of my tool roll. The only thing that won't fit in there is my jar of cut healing putty.

Attachments

• 20210829_164425.jpg
    20210829_164425.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 165

Gatorade

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have only been doing bonsai about 4 mounts and I have bought from three tool companys. I’m obsessed

Aonepro- $60.00 Amazon -China
Tian bonsai stainless professional grade set -$140.00 -China
kaneshin- 5 pieces- $350.00- Japan

I returned the Tian Bonsai stainless set . They were very pretty, the branch & knob cutter were nice, sharp, precise. However, scissors were very loose (jiggly) even when closed and theirs no way to tighten them. Also got there Jin pliers because set I got didn’t include them. They are nice I did keep them.

I was really excited when I got the aonepro set. However you get what they pay for. There are gaps between the knob cutter blades And concave cutters. Scissors are roughly made. They get the job done just not easily.

There is no comparison between aonepro and Kaneshin. i have only used the Kaneshin tools a few times and they work amazingl. Clean cuts. Very sharp. You can see and feel the craftsmanship. Know they will last a long time because I plan on taking care of them. They can also be sharpened quite easily for free With small sharpener or wetstone. I personally think I have gotten carried away with bonsai especially because Im pretty knew But having a good time with it. Very much know it’s something I will do the rest of my life, so I want tools that will last me rest of my life. Included some pictures you can see the difference between cheap and expensive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 154

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love my Joshua Roth tools. I have not tried the more more expensive brands. Don’t really feel a need.

mossedmoon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ve used Kikuwa for years with no problems and couldn’t be happier. I do however have Robert Steven’s shears and it’s my go to for much of my work.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just got my first two tools today after using some very small kit scissors. What I ordered were the Wazakura concave cutter and a pair of their Satsuki shears. They seem just fine though I don't have anything to compare to. What I did notice after reading is that the concave part where they meet up is laser tight, so that's good. Does anybody have recommendations for keeping them in tip top shape?

Chris

Gatorade

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That’s awesome I saw those on Amazon and was curious about there quality. On the concave cutters do they overlap slightly or meet edge to edge?

I believe those are black steal tools which means they will rust so keep them dry. Also get a crean mate. It’s a rust eraser that you can clean your tools with as well as an oil to keep them like new! Tools will need to be sharpened at some point- watch a YouTube!

congrats on the new tools! don’t be afraid to use them!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm a big fan of American Bonsai. I have two pairs of concave cutters, one from AB, and a Fujiyama one that I bought from Dallas Bonsai when it was going out of business.

I haven't taken care of them. They've both been left out in the rain and snow and have sometimes been submerged in water.

The American Bonsai cutters still look and feel brand new.

But the Fujiyama one is all rusted out and barely functions.

Also, my scissors from American Bonsai are insanely dangerous. I literally had to go to the ER once due to effortlessly clipping off the end of my thumb. High quality cutting!

Gatorade

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm a big fan of American Bonsai. I have two pairs of concave cutters, one from AB, and a Fujiyama one that I bought from Dallas Bonsai when it was going out of business.

I haven't taken care of them. They've both been left out in the rain and snow and have sometimes been submerged in water.

The American Bonsai cutters still look and feel brand new.

But the Fujiyama one is all rusted out and barely functions.

Also, my scissors from American Bonsai are insanely dangerous. I literally had to go to the ER once due to effortlessly clipping off the end of my thumb. High quality cutting!

after I got all my tools. I thought yea these things are freaking dangerous! I wonder how many people go to the ER everyear do to bonsai related injuries? And the power tools side of things, people have definitely lost fingers do to bonsai I’m sure of it. Can’t become complacent! bonsai is more dangerous then people think. Someone should start a bonsai injury thread!

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
American Bonsai tools are top notch, it’s their poor customer service that is their detriment. Weeks to ship, poor communication, and outright lies. I have two of their shears, a large trunk splitter, root cutters, concave and knob cutters. I would have eventually bought everything they have, but they lost me as a customer.

Top Bottom