Best Retirement City for Bonsai Enthusiasts

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is a “half-back”?
was wondering that myself...it's a "thing" for retirees to move halfway back from where they first retired to be closer to the family they left. In other words, buyers' remorse for moving to FLA.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It’s a common problem. People vote the cost of living too high where they live, move away, and then ruin the new place they’re moving to.
No difference than people with allergy problems moving to Arizona decades ago to avoid pollens. Then they planted all their favorites plants and flowers and recreates the environment from which they flee.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If we could ever afford it, my wife and I love Tennessee. Mt. Juliette is very nice which also happens to be where Eisei-en is located. Plus it helps that Bjorn is super awesome.
Tennessee is one of the "cheapest" states I have lived in my time in the Army, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to afford it. I was stationed in Ft Campbell and lived in a small town called Woodlawn, little blue circle on the map. Drive to Nashville was around 1 hr on I-24. At that time a 3-4 Br 2 Bth house was around $150k and it had close to 1/2 acre if not more of land on the backyard.

I think the same goes to almost any state as long as you live at least 20-30 minute drive away from the city limits. Price goes down and it is more "peaceful". There was a time when I was considering living in a place like Portland, but that was a loooong time ago.

1682357350443.png

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
was wondering that myself...it's a "thing" for retirees to move halfway back from where they first retired to be closer to the family they left. In other words, buyers' remorse for moving to FLA.

Thank you. I guess I could have looked it up myself but I was a little concerned with what I might be looking up😅

Reaction score
Tennessee is one of the "cheapest" states I have lived in my time in the Army, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to afford it. I was stationed in Ft Campbell and lived in a small town called Woodlawn, little blue circle on the map. Drive to Nashville was around 1 hr on I-24. At that time a 3-4 Br 2 Bth house was around $150k and it had close to 1/2 acre if not more of land on the backyard.

I think the same goes to almost any state as long as you live at least 20-30 minute drive away from the city limits. Price goes down and it is more "peaceful". There was a time when I was considering living in a place like Portland, but that was a loooong time ago.
That's not bad at all and TN is great on taxes. But wife says we need a decent size hospital within 15 minutes (even during commute window). If this is to be our forever home one has to think about those unplanned medical events.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's not bad at all and TN is great on taxes. But wife says we need a decent size hospital within 15 minutes (even during commute window). If this is to be our forever home one has to think about those unplanned medical events.
FWIW, my parents retired to East Texas. Really great place, if you can take the summers and tornados. Tyler, Longview, Henderson, Lufkin on down to the Gulf. Tyler in particular has many "old folks" amenities including excellent hospitals. Land is cheap, housing is inexpensive compared to here.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A northerner who moves down to Florida, decides it’s too hot, and moves halfway back north, landing somewhere in Virginia or the Carolinas, usually.

Edit: Didn’t see that @rockm had already answered.
I was afraid to return to this thread as my 60yr old eyes drinking coffee this a.m. read it as "half-black"
I said oh no.... yikes.

Florida is getting crazy crowded. I spend time in Sarasota yearly since the 70s and in season in getting tooooooo busy. Inland Northern Florida is awesome and affordable. Ocala/Gville area and St Johns river area.

Silver Glen Springs is amazing. Crystal clear spring water flows at 70 degrees year around w/no salt.
Standing in chin deep and see my toenails.
1682372643195.png

Last edited:

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Better pic but not growing larch there

Attachments

• IMG_20230424_175018443.jpg
    IMG_20230424_175018443.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 14

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just bought our retirement place in Fresno, CA. Major feature = grandkids. However, I'm lucky it also has the Clark Bonsai Collection of the Golden State Bonsai Federation, and an active club. Long day trip for bonsai stuff in the SF Bay area. Weekend trip for bonsai stuff in the Los Angeles area. But, you gotta tolerate 100 F temps for weeks in the summer.

arreaux

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I just bought our retirement place in Fresno, CA. Major feature = grandkids. However, I'm lucky it also has the Clark Bonsai Collection of the Golden State Bonsai Federation, and an active club. Long day trip for bonsai stuff in the SF Bay area. Weekend trip for bonsai stuff in the Los Angeles area. But, you gotta tolerate 100 F temps for weeks in the summer.
Just so you know San Francisco is not what it used to be 20 years ago. It's turned into a cesspool in the last 20 years. Lots of crime, drugs and homeless who defecate and urinate in the businesses door ways. If you do visit make sure to pick up a Poo map that shows how to avoid the locations. Also if you park by a tourist location, criminals break into cars to rummage for valuables.
Better to go north of SF. Or even come to Sacramento and visit Maruyama Bonsai nursery. I'm in the valley in the little town of Lodi. Like Fresno it does get hot here, but in most evenings we get the delta cooling breeze coming into the valley via the bay.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just so you know San Francisco is not what it used to be 20 years ago. It's turned into a cesspool in the last 20 years. Lots of crime, drugs and homeless who defecate and urinate in the businesses door ways. If you do visit make sure to pick up a Poo map that shows how to avoid the locations. Also if you park by a tourist location, criminals break into cars to rummage for valuables.
Better to go north of SF. Or even come to Sacramento and visit Maruyama Bonsai nursery. I'm in the valley in the little town of Lodi. Like Fresno it does get hot here, but in most evenings we get the delta cooling breeze coming into the valley via the bay.

Bonsai in Oakland (East Bay Bonsai, Lake Merrit collection), San Mateo (Sei Boku Bonsai Kai), Cupertino (Midori Bonsai), SF, Santa Rosa (Redwood Empire Bonsai), Santa Cruz. If you wanted, you could go to a good club show and sale every month in the SF Bay area. I don't want to live there, just get my bonsai fix now and then.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Had I been on the west coast when I retired I would have considered Portland OR. Beautiful town, vibrant community, a great bonsai environment, and Ryan Neil close by.
Portland Oregon? Are you serious? IMO. that place is a mess with the homeless situation and crazy politics allowing it to go on. They do have a very good bonsai club though.

Top Bottom