Best grafting technique for pines?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Mom asked me about the best type of graft to use for pines and I have no idea what to tell her since I always use a wedge graft on my fruit trees. This will be grafting scions onto a landscape tree, probably around 1/4" or so.

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
The side veneer graft is nearly universal for pines. The scion is cut into a wedge and a slit is cut into the understock. The long side of the wedge faces the understock and the short side faces the flap. It is not necessary for both side of the graft to match, one is good enough. Tie and seal. You can get grafting tape now that is translucent and self adhesive, no tying necessary. Saves lot of time and frustration. Available from AM Leonard among other places.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
@Brent thank you, I'll pass the info on. What about grafting a whole new tree onto rootstock? I had assumed she was grafting a new branch onto a trunk but she is planning on cutting back the root stock to just a few inches and grafting a new top on.

This will be a korean pine nut with either jack pine or ponderosa for rootstock.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Graft must be well established FIRST before can cut off main tree stock. Should be at least a couple years;).

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
The side veneer graft is nearly universal for pines. The scion is cut into a wedge and a slit is cut into the understock. The long side of the wedge faces the understock and the short side faces the flap. It is not necessary for both side of the graft to match, one is good enough. Tie and seal. You can get grafting tape now that is translucent and self adhesive, no tying necessary. Saves lot of time and frustration. Available from AM Leonard among other places.

Brent

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com
Hello Brent,

I am planning to graft in mugo pine. I have bought a new plant to use its tips as scion.

Any advise on how to chose a correct tip. I saw video of Ryan Neil on you tube and am confused about the selection criterion of tips. Something to do with how woody or fleshy the scion is?

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
If someone could share his/her knowledge on selection good quality scion material for veneer grafting in Pine, it will be really great.

Thanks.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Brent thank you, I'll pass the info on. What about grafting a whole new tree onto rootstock? I had assumed she was grafting a new branch onto a trunk but she is planning on cutting back the root stock to just a few inches and grafting a new top on.

This will be a korean pine nut with either jack pine or ponderosa for rootstock.

The process Brent was describing could, actually usually is used to eventually have the whole tree be the one scion grafted on. However the rest of the understock is not cut off right away, it is left until the scion graft has healed enough that the scion could begin to take over supporting the root system. Usually the foliage of the understock can be cut off at the end of the second growing season, though sometimes it takes more time, 4 years to completely remove the understock foliage is not unheard of. Graft unions don't heal instantly, it is a process that takes multiple years.

Go to Brent's website and read his article archive. Also google his you tube videos where he demonstrates grafting. Evergreen Garden Works.

Top Bottom