Best resource for maple seeds?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Howdy - I'm looking to get a bunch of maple seeds, both standard Japanese maple and trident.

I've found a couple places that charge something like $10 for 10 seeds, but I'm thinking there's got to be a better source out there to get a quantity of them. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ive used sheffields seeds for a while. They have a good variety and provide dates as to when the seeds were collected. Getting fresh seed is half the battle. They update their website daily with new arrivals.

vesper818

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you dont mind a mixed batch of seeds, Ive been collecting JM seeds of all leaf shapes and colors on my neighborhood walks, a great variety. I think there are some tridents too.
Anyone want some, pm me with your address, and I'll send a batch !

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you dont mind a mixed batch of seeds, Ive been collecting JM seeds of all leaf shapes and colors on my neighborhood walks, a great variety. I think there are some tridents too.
Anyone want some, pm me with your address, and I'll send a batch !

I appreciate that - I think I’m going to order if only so I know for sure what I’m growing though

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A second vote for sheffields order by the gram you can get over a hundred seeds for ~$15. Make sure you look at the age and germination rate. Some of the seeds on their site are old. For Japanese maples they need 120 days warm stratification and 120 days cold stratification. That is a 8 month process so order soon.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
A second vote for sheffields order by the gram you can get over a hundred seeds for ~$15. Make sure you look at the age and germination rate. Some of the seeds on their site are old. For Japanese maples they need 120 days warm stratification and 120 days cold stratification. That is a 8 month process so order soon.
Thanks! Did not know about the warm stratification piece…

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Howdy - I'm looking to get a bunch of maple seeds, both standard Japanese maple and trident.

I've found a couple places that charge something like $10 for 10 seeds, but I'm thinking there's got to be a better source out there to get a quantity of them. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

The best source for maple seeds is a maple tree. Are there none in your area? No parks? Botanical gardens? Neighbors with maples in the front yard next to the road? There's maple seeds dropping all around me right now. I keep finding them in my shoes.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The best source for maple seeds is a maple tree. Are there none in your area? No parks? Botanical gardens? Neighbors with maples in the front yard next to the road? There's maple seeds dropping all around me right now. I keep finding them in my shoes.
I collect from a few select trees in my neighbor hood. They know I'll be knocking on their door towards the end of October. But a lot is dependent on what is available in your area. This year I finally got a decent crop of seeds from my own trees.

mathias

Seedling
Reaction score
Any recommendations for buying seed in EU?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
JM maple seed if harvested moist, and still at a moisture content above somewhere above 75% give or take, can simply be cold moist stratified for 120 days, give or take. If the moisture content has dried below 75% then the 120 day warm stratification is required, followed by 120 days cold stratification.

Top Bottom