BIG gray oak yamadori

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let me know what what you think.

I like the second picture best.
Compact.
And the log's thick left shows movement right which could easily be exaggerated in the canopy from where it is.

I couldn't ever make much of this....
It was always kinda ugly.

But it makes sense now.

The best thing IMO...

You almost, (surely in pics) can't make out what the old part was, or where it was going....

It looks to have been sitting there so long....anything that used to grow around it is long gone or changed....

Which means anyway it grows now is correct, because no one has ever seen it before.

So basically, f that the trunks are straight.
It doesn't matter in this scenario.
It's an OK part of the story.
Not the interesting part, there is a different interesting part.

I think just proper well timed maintenance is all this needs.

Thanks for shining this turd.
I like it!

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like the second picture best.
Compact.
And the log's thick left shows movement right which could easily be exaggerated in the canopy from where it is.

I couldn't ever make much of this....
It was always kinda ugly.

But it makes sense now.

The best thing IMO...

You almost, (surely in pics) can't make out what the old part was, or where it was going....

It looks to have been sitting there so long....anything that used to grow around it is long gone or changed....

Which means anyway it grows now is correct, because no one has ever seen it before.

So basically, f that the trunks are straight.
It doesn't matter in this scenario.
It's an OK part of the story.
Not the interesting part, there is a different interesting part.

I think just proper well timed maintenance is all this needs.

Thanks for shining this turd.
I like it!

Sorce
Thanks for the comments!
The straight trunks don't bother me very much, only one branch on the entire tree. In the photo you like, the far right trunk with the thick straight branch jutting out, yeah I wanna take off that branch. It's far to thick for the tree that it is on, I may leave it a year to thicken then take it off totally.
I enjoy this trees story.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I really like this tree. Do you think I could grow these in Southern California? lol As others mentioned, I would chop some of the straight segments but only if the tree is strong and you know it'll back bud. I'm looking forward to future updates!
I really like this tree. Do you think I could grow these in Southern California? lol As others mentioned, I would chop some of the straight segments but only if the tree is strong and you know it'll back bud. I'm looking forward to future updates!
Just did a little research on Arcadia, and your only about 3,500 ft lower than the start of the natural range of this species of oak lol. Too bad, at least you guys have some awesome oaks out there too!

Aaron

Top Bottom