BJ's Bonsai in Potomac. VA,MD, WVA

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like I said in the other post, BJs looks to be in a very high end section of Montgomery County. The owner doesn't appear to be all that motivated to sell anything. He's in a tony Potomac neighborhood in a cul de sac.
I would be kind of cautious about just showing up without contacting them first. You might become quickly acquainted with Potomac PD or Montgomery County police.

Petebak

Mame
Reaction score
I would call first and make sure someone is there. Looks like a private residence running a business from their back yard.

Take some pics and let people know your impressions!
Like I said in the other post, BJs looks to be in a very high end section of Montgomery County. The owner doesn't appear to be all that motivated to sell anything. He's in a tony Potomac neighborhood in a cul de sac.
I would be kind of cautious about just showing up without contacting them first. You might become quickly acquainted with Potomac PD or Montgomery County police.
I know Potomac PD and MC Police very well, no worries! :p:rolleyes:o_O

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know Potomac PD and MC Police very well, no worries! :p:rolleyes:o_O
I'll repeat the message. This guy is NOT really a bonsai nursery. He is apparently reclusive and doesn't like "tire kickers" or to really sell stuff. His son has said that. Unfortunately, I've seen "online people" assume that since it's been posted here, it's fair game to just show up and start asking questions.

I can assure you that that approach can be annoying at best and scary at its worst to the person on the other end. CALL BEFORE YOU VISIT

Petebak

Mame
Reaction score
I'll repeat the message. This guy is NOT really a bonsai nursery. He is apparently reclusive and doesn't like "tire kickers" or to really sell stuff. His son has said that. Unfortunately, I've seen "online people" assume that since it's been posted here, it's fair game to just show up and start asking questions.

I can assure you that that approach can be annoying at best and scary at its worst to the person on the other end. CALL BEFORE YOU VISIT
I hear you but BJ's is a registered nursery, check out this PDF, page 5.
http://mda.maryland.gov/plants-pests/Documents/2017NurseryFirm.pdf

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hear you but BJ's is a registered nursery, check out this PDF, page 5.
http://mda.maryland.gov/plants-pests/Documents/2017NurseryFirm.pdf
I've seen the registration. I don't know what difference it makes.

His son said the guy doesn't really like visitors, or people "just looking" The guy's son also says the man is in his mid-80's and that isn't all that interested in selling anything. Hardly sounds like he's going to roll out the red carpet for people to stop by on their lunch hour unannounced.

Petebak

Mame
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Sungho Chung and I have recently heard from a potential bonsai customer that BJ's Bonsai Nursery has been talked about disparagingly in local internet forums. I am literally shocked. This is actually my dad's nursery at his home in Potomac, Md. I just post for him since he is not computer literate. He has been doing bonsai most of his life. BJ stands for his first name BooJung. He is 88 yeras old or somewhere in that neighborhood...89? I know that is bad considering I am his son. But he is up there in age. He is retired and does bonsai all day, every day. I mean every day literally. He's skipped family summer vacations every year since I can remember so he can tend to his bonsai. He does not belong to any bonsai clubs or forums or any affiliate of bonsai. He does not have a website. He does this for purely hobbie pleasure and some cash on the side for motivation. He recently had a portion of his collection sold to a local garden nursery who now sells them claiming there is a bonsai master on the nursery premise. Go figure. Before this transaction I was at his home and noticed at least 700 bonsai on display and over a thousand bonsai in training which he tends to on a daily basis.For those who questions BJ's Bonsai, I suggest going to his home and taking a look at his collection potentially buying one. I will say that he is not interested in bonsai hobbiests interested in taking up all his time window shopping his bonsai bc he would rather tend to bonsai. If you do, please do not take up too much of his time. At his age I don't know how he can still tend to all those bonsai but he does. Wakes up at 6 and tends to his bonsai until 6pm. All by himself. I just wanted to come here and say that he is legitimate. Thank you for reading this post.

yeah no red carpet but sounds like he may be interested in selling some!
either way i'll report my findings soon.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good luck then...I would take notice of this --"I will say that he is not interested in bonsai hobbiests interested in taking up all his time window shopping his bonsai bc he would rather tend to bonsai. If you do, please do not take up too much of his time."

If you go, you should probably buy something...

Petebak

Mame
Reaction score
Good luck then...I would take notice of this --"I will say that he is not interested in bonsai hobbiests interested in taking up all his time window shopping his bonsai bc he would rather tend to bonsai. If you do, please do not take up too much of his time."

If you go, you should probably buy something...
I'll deff pick something up! :)

Reaction score
anyone made it there? googling the address comes back with 2.1 Acres of land!
and it is listed in the 2017 MARYLAND LICENSED NURSERIES, PLANT DEALERS/BROKERS document.
I've been going to both Meehan's and BJ's for years and they are both great. BJ has much better prices. He isn't in it for the money, he is a hard working Korean American family man who has done Bonsai as a hobby for decades. I have two trees from him, both are incredible and were very affordable, much cheaper than any nursery I have ever been to. I 100% recommend. I bought this 35 yr old Trident Maple from him. I will definitely be returning. RenderedImage.JPG

Reaction score
any updates....he keeps the ad fresh on craigslist....so this is confusing to say the least....i think i would rather give the guy in lynchburg a try before going up to yuppy potomac md. :)
BJ's is so worth it. Amazing prices and great variety. Loyts of maples, hornbeams, pines, quince, azalea, and more. He isn't yuppie. He is a 93 year old Korean bonsai master.

Reaction score
I'd also take a lot of cash...I'm betting he ain't letting any of that go for cheap.
Actually his trees are crazy affordable. He isn't in it for the money (he lives in Potomac). Like legitimately never seen just amazing prices before.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually his trees are crazy affordable. He isn't in it for the money (he lives in Potomac). Like legitimately never seen just amazing prices before.
Soooo, what's up with this? Dredging up a four year old post to say it's great in your first three posts here?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Soooo, what's up with this? Dredging up a four year old post to say it's great in your first three posts here?
I was googling BJ's and came across this thread. I noticed that people were kinda bashing him for no reason so I figured I'd make an account so I could give my two cents about how great he is! That's the thing about internet threads.The conversation is always ongoing. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom