Black Pine Training

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you Chris, sounds like what my gut was telling me anyway. These guys seem to backbud very well even in older wood.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
She got a mild case of needle cast over the summer but the Draconil treatment was effective. My Ban Sho Ho however I might loose. Anyway, Time for some root trimming. I got some good trunk development after the big chop last year and you can see the new leader I tied up last year. All the rest of the branches comming off the base are sacrafice. The new leader is that thick one going strait up. I was going to use those two side branches for the first 2, but they may become sacrafice after seeing at how well it backbuds this year, which should be profuse.

I cut some of those larger roots back about 40% and left almost all of the smaller ones comming from the main trunk. The I gave them a haircut back to the obviouse root ball outline. I transplanted into a box about 25% larger for continued fast growth. No candling yet and probably not for a while. The game seems to be domanant sacrafice branches keep the rest recessive (that is to be kept). If that makes any sense.

Attachments

• jbp root1.jpg
    jbp root1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 106
  • jbproot2.jpg
    jbproot2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 97
  • jbproot3.jpg
    jbproot3.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 102
Top Bottom