Bonsai Europe/Knowledge of Bonsai Progressive Styling Contest

nsmar4211

Sapling
Reaction score
Paul-
I'm confused, my point was that asking judges to ignore the pot might be a tad bit difficult.

"Although the judges have been instructed to "ignore" the pot/container the tree is finally presented in, that's like asking someone to ignore a mountain or a paintings' frame-not likely to happen."

What were you replying to?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The judges selected are all world class artists who have all critiqued and judged more trees than many of us will ever see, I am sure they have the ability to ignore a pot, heck they could ignore the trunk or foliage if they wanted to.

Will

cray13

Sapling
Reaction score
Old Towel method.

If there are concerns about the judges ability to ignore the container and the rules do not allow altered images then I suggest using a towel preferrably of the same color as your background to conceal the container. This would conceal the container and allow for an unaltered image. Of course you would have to be careful that the nebari was completely visible.

Just a suggestion.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even though I wrote the rules and helped to launch this contest at KoB, Paul has taken on the unenviable task of running it while I concentrated on the contest at AoB. So I was completely taken by surprise to see the contest announcement in the first issue of the new Bonsai Focus magazine (page 9).

Great work Paul! I imagine we will see many entries submitted now from artists who do not frequent the forums as well as from those who do.

It was interesting to have dual contests running with one being sponsored by Bonsai Europe and the other by Bonsai Today and it was even more interesting to have the merge of the two magazines happen during the contests, what a challenge that presented for all involved.

We owe a big debt of gratitude to both magazines as well as to Bnut and all the other forums who allowed us to announce and discuss the contests on-line. It is always exciting to see the community working together as one.

This progressive styling contest is a new concept for bonsai contests and it seems to be working out amazingly well. Good luck to all who enter, may the best talent win.

Will

PaulStokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
The deadline for the submission of the before photographs is quickly approaching.

I sure would like it if we were able to at least double the number of entries to date.

Don't you want a shot at getting your creation and your name published in the worlds largest bonsai magazine?
Don't you want a shot at winning some of the over $3000 in donated prizes?

If you are thinking that you are not talented enough to compete, how will you really know until you enter and try. You just might be one of the undiscovered talents out there in the bonsai community.

So get out there and pick out you tree, take some pictures, and email them to me.

What have you got to lose?

-Paul

PaulStokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Got an update?
Sure!

We had 37 valid entries to the contest.
Mostly from Europe and the US but there are some from other places.

Looks like the judges are going to have their hands full.

15 days left to complete your entry!

-Paul

Top Bottom