Bonsai for Xmas, I need help

Jafjk

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m now the proud owner of a lovely bonsai tree, the only problem is my Xmas gift came with no info or care instructions. From what I can see on the internet care is very dependant on the type I have, can anyone help me identify and possibly give any care tips?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 6C4A75E9-2B62-4DC2-B9CB-52D31848C45E.jpeg
    6C4A75E9-2B62-4DC2-B9CB-52D31848C45E.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 76

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

You have a ficus (fig) tree of some type. It is a tropical tree that, though it does best outdoors, can be kept inside in a bright window. Can you tell us where you live so we can provide care instructions? For example, are you able to keep this tree outside?

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice tree! update your profile for your location and it will be easier to help you. All in all, it is some type of ficus tree and can live indoors if it gets really good light, but better outside if you don't live in an area that is to cold. Enjoy!

Jafjk

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, will update my profile. I’m Bristol, England, ideally I’d like to keep it indoors if possible. I’ve got a South East facing window or alternatively a sun room but temperatures in the sun room can really vary as it’s not insulated. Winter 8-18c summer 18-35c

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the tips, will update my profile. I’m Bristol, England, ideally I’d like to keep it indoors if possible. I’ve got a South East facing window or alternatively a sun room but temperatures in the sun room can really vary as it’s not insulated. Winter 8-18c summer 18-35c
keep it inside in winter and outside in summer. It gets too cold for ficus in England to be outdoors year-round. I believe they may start taking damage several degrees above freezing, not totally sure

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
keep it inside in winter and outside in summer. It gets too cold for ficus in England to be outdoors year-round. I believe they may start taking damage several degrees above freezing, not totally sure

My ficus in landscape in Southern California could stand cold right up to freezing - at which point the exterior of the foliage mass would start to drop leaves. However this was when their roots were safely insulated in the soil, and the cold temps only occurred for a couple of hours each day, after which it would warm up significantly.

In a bonsai pot, or en environment where the temps stay cold all day, I would assume they would be less resilient.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Of your two locations (window or sun room), choose the one with the brightest light and highest humidity. 8c won't hurt a ficus during the winter, although the growth will slow.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool little tree.
As before. Outside once you get temps over 10c all day-night long. THat will keep your tree nappiest. In winter, keep as bright as possible, and be carefull to not soak, but also not dry out. A warm spot is good as long as it is not to dry. (Think: Humid tropics = home)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like a Tiger Bark Ficus to me.
Supplimental lighting (ie a grow light) in the winter may be helpful in keeping it growing.
My ficus spend their winters under full spectrum lights and they grow all winter

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Nice!

Sorce

Reaction score
My Ficus can stand 6C no problems. That’s my lowest temperature that I can get for a few nights per year. So your sun room, provided it has plenty of light, will be a good winter spot.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
That's a cool little beginner tree!

It is difficult to tell what soil it is in, but from what I can tell it looks to be organic. The soil level looks a wee bit low as you can see quite a bit of exposed rootage. It wouldn't hurt to add a small layer of soil with a similar consistency of the current soil up to about 1/8" of the rim of the container.

If you plan on keeping it indoors be mindful of leaving it near any vents - mine didn't enjoy this at all.

-HENDO

Top Bottom