Bonsai identification

Feber

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently I recived a bonsai tree as a gift. I have no clue what species is it. I've been looking for some information on the Internet, but I haven't found the certain answer. To me it looks like it is an Azalea one.
Could you help me with an identification of that tree?

Pictures are linked below:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks like Ilex Crenata "soft touch".....which I believe is a dwarf cultivar.
I have one from a local box store that I'm trying this year, looks like fun.

Feber

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks like Ilex Crenata "soft touch".....which I believe is a dwarf cultivar.
I have one from a local box store that I'm trying this year, looks like fun.
Could you send me some info about watering, positioning, re-potting, fertilizing, pruning and shapening? What my next steps should be: trim it, re-pot it or leave it as it is? Thanks! :) To clarify: I have never ever had a bonsai tree before.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thise are all a l9t of questions a new person starts out with but the first skill to work on is keeping it alive. This starts with good light and watering. Watering is a skill that has to be learned. It is a function of the tree, the season, the lighting, and the soil. When you water make sure the soil is saturated. Don't water again until the soil starts to get dry. How dry is somewhat species dependent. A place to start would a half inch below the surface being dry. The tree will give you clues pay attention to the leaves.

Feber

Seedling
Reaction score
Thise are all a l9t of questions a new person starts out with but the first skill to work on is keeping it alive. This starts with good light and watering. Watering is a skill that has to be learned. It is a function of the tree, the season, the lighting, and the soil. When you water make sure the soil is saturated. Don't water again until the soil starts to get dry. How dry is somewhat species dependent. A place to start would a half inch below the surface being dry. The tree will give you clues pay attention to the leaves.

How can I measure if the soil half inch below the surface is dry? It's a small pot and I can't simply put my finger into it. Should I invest in a moisture meter and a humidity try?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could you send me some info about watering, positioning, re-potting, fertilizing, pruning and shapening? What my next steps should be: trim it, re-pot it or leave it as it is? Thanks! :) To clarify: I have never ever had a bonsai tree before.
You've asked questions that would take hours to answer for you here.

This page is one of the best sources of bonsai info on the web. Start with the "beginners' page" and work your way through.
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/

Feber

Seedling
Reaction score
Why dont you get a book on Bonsai to help you?!!
I already have one, but there is no info about that particular tree. Thanks for an advice though!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, this tree is most likely Carmona Microphylla (commonly called "Fukien Tea") Fukien tea is one of the most common species found in mass produced bonsai like yours. I doubt this is a an Ilex(holly)..
https://www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/carmona

Fukien tea is considered tropical, but should be kept outside in temperate zone summers. It will limp along inside.

You're looks reasonably healthy, but it will need to be repotted as the soil and roots look like they're beginning to have some issues, which isn't uncommon for mass produced trees. I would get rid of those white stones. They're not helping the tree.

Feber

Seedling
Reaction score
BTW, this tree is most likely Carmona Microphylla (commonly called "Fukien Tea") Fukien tea is one of the most common species found in mass produced bonsai like yours. I doubt this is a an Ilex(holly)..
https://www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/carmona

Fukien tea is considered tropical, but should be kept outside in temperate zone summers. It will limp along inside.

You're looks reasonably healthy, but it will need to be repotted as the soil and roots look like they're beginning to have some issues, which isn't uncommon for mass produced trees. I would get rid of those white stones. They're not helping the tree.
Should I re-pot it as soon as possibile? I've already placed in on the balcony (it's south faced). I am living in Poland, currently the temperatures are quite high (77-86 F during the day and 59 F in the night).

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How can I measure if the soil half inch below the surface is dry? It's a small pot and I can't simply put my finger into it. Should I invest in a moisture meter and a humidity try?
You can stick a chopstick in the soil and leave it there. Pull it out periodically to check the moisture.

Top Bottom