BONSAI POT ~Clay Pottery Planter ~ Rectangular 13 ½" x 9 ½" x 3 ¼" Maker Signed Identification Help..

SeanOH1976

Seedling
Reaction score
I recently purchased this bonsai pot however, I'm having trouble translating the makers mark or what you call the chop. The pot is over 30 years old, pictures have been provided for your viewing pleasure. It measures about 13 ½ inches by 9 ½ inches from the outsides of the rims. The interior measurement is 12 inches by 8 inches . It stands about 3 ¼ inches tall including the feet. There is a makers mark on the bottom. I believe it is Japanese however I'm unsure.

bon2.PNGbon3.PNGbon5.PNGbonsai1.PNG

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently purchased this bonsai pot however, I'm having trouble translating the makers mark or what you call the chop. The pot is over 30 years old, pictures have been provided for your viewing pleasure. It measures about 13 ½ inches by 9 ½ inches from the outsides of the rims. The interior measurement is 12 inches by 8 inches . It stands about 3 ¼ inches tall including the feet. There is a makers mark on the bottom. I believe it is Japanese however I'm unsure.

View attachment 452691View attachment 452692View attachment 452693View attachment 452694
Not really sure of the mark, but this looks like Japanese tokoname mass production to me. Good quality not a collector's piece IMO. I have a pot with a similar mark and it has a "Kyodo" sticker on it. Kyodo imported mass produced Japanese bonsai pots in the 70's

Last edited:

SeanOH1976

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you and noted... I believe I got a good deal on it.... I paid $65.00 plus shipping Total cost $90 bucks.

SeanOH1976

Seedling
Reaction score
Can anyone translate the chop or makers mark.... Can't find the mark anywhere on the internet.

Attachments

• bonsai1.PNG
    bonsai1.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 8

SeanOH1976

Seedling
Reaction score
Not really sure of the mark, but this looks like Japanese tokoname mass production to me. Good quality not a collector's piece IMO. I have a pot with a similar mark and it has a "Kyodo" sticker on it. Kyodo imported mass produced Japanese bonsai pots in the 70's
The Following information provided from previous owner. It measures about 13 ½ inches by 9 ½ inches from the outsides of the rims. Clay is a mud brown color, the interior measurement is 12 inches by 8 inches and It stands about 3 ¼ inches tall including the feet. The pot has been sitting on a gardening shed shelf for possibly 30 years waiting to be used. There is a makers mark / Chop on the bottom. Have briefly researched tokoname and the "Kyodo" bonsai pots and haven't found a definite match or anything matching the chop. Do you know anyone who can translate the chop or makers mark.... Can't find the mark anywhere on the internet.

Attachments

• bonsai1.PNG
    bonsai1.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 3

SeanOH1976

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi you were right it's a Tokoname Sankyou bonsai pot.

bonid.PNG

SeanOH1976

Seedling
Reaction score
Mystery solved with help from rockm. It's a Tokoname Sankyou bonsai pot.

bonid.PNG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope my sign-ins been doing right by you newbs during my semi hiatus.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom