Bonsai in Taiwan: Part 2

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
For the full post and more pictures please check out my blog. If you've enjoyed the content please subscribe or leave me a comment/feedback.
https://bontsai.com/2017/01/01/bonsai-in-taiwan-trees-art-part-2/

My second bout of bonsai sightseeing in Taiwan was at Wan Jing Yi Yuan garden. Prior to visiting the garden I had seen my great aunt who as a hobby does calligraphy and painting. Below is some of her work:
wisteria.jpg

Painting.jpg The Heart Sutra handwritten by her teacher:
20161217_103037.jpg
20161217_103045.jpg

Having learned that I enjoy bonsai, my great aunt recalled some pictures her friend sent her in the past depicting bonsai in a garden. She found the pictures and later referred us to a garden to check out.

The garden we visited was located in Changhua. This city is one of the oldest, among the first Taiwanese settlements when Chinese migrants arrived in the 17th century. In addition to bonsai we were able to see an extensive art collection as well a historic “old town” featuring a Mazu Temple from the 1700s.

Wan Jing Yi Yuan was a private garden and collection formed by a wealthy contractor. After amassing such an extensive and large collection and garden he was urged and agreed to make it public. Apparently his inspiration for the garden was to showcase and display native Taiwanese trees after he saw a 100 year old camphor tree that was cut down still trying to grow and sprout buds. The garden not only included native trees but an extensive collection of antiques and art imported from China as well as bonsai. The garden was well maintained and aside from the mosquitoes was very enjoyable to walk through. Gnarly twisted junipers were the most common bonsai there, but there were also ficus, podocarpus, and bougainvillea. I believe the bonsai comprise of trees developed in Taiwan as well as some imported from Japan. There are too many photos to upload so I'll just put my favorite trees here. The rest can be seen on my blog.

20161220_123214.jpg

20161220_123240.jpg 20161220_131630.jpg 20161220_131355.jpg
20161220_131402.jpg
Hope you enjoyed the shots!

- Julian

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
I ahve been here before when I was doing a course with Master Lo.

An AMAZING garden and even better when getting a tour from Master Lo explaining little known secrets and meeting the man himself.

Anyone visiting Taiwan should see this as it is awe inspiring. Let me know if you coming out.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I ahve been here before when I was doing a course with Master Lo.

An AMAZING garden and even better when getting a tour from Master Lo explaining little known secrets and meeting the man himself.

Anyone visiting Taiwan should see this as it is awe inspiring. Let me know if you coming out.
There were tree farms all around the city too while I went. Lots of pine, podocarpus, and others. I really hoped to see more bonsai utilizing native Taiwan trees though.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Master Lo has a few stunning specimens using natives.

That area is full of amazing nurseries and tree farms. Spent hours in that area.

Top Bottom