Bonsai nursey in Nagano - a little help

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello everyone, a quick question for you: I cannot find the name of Mr. Iura's nursery in Nagano. I'm making a bit of an itinerary, and of course I wanted to include a quick stop there, together with Suzuki's Taikan Bonsai Museum and Matsuayama En of Mrs Yamamoto.

I know it's been featured here and there on the internet, as I googled it extensively, but couldn't find the name of the nursery.

Thanks to anybody who can help on this!

Leo

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The only info I can find is an blogpost on the Valavanis Bonsai Blog.
Maybe you can ask him about it (like BN also suggested).

Link: https://valavanisbonsaiblog.com/2014/05/27/japan-satsuki-bonsai-tour-part-1/

Yeah, I found that too but it doesn't say the name of the nursery, right?

I know about Mr. Iura from scattered pieces of information, videos, blogs (like Valavanis' one) and some shimpakus which appeared on some books/magazines I have (the most famous of these trees being Fujin, featured in more than one blog, vlog and such...).

Hope @William N. Valavanis can chime in to solve the riddle!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The blog says the nursery is "private." I'm assuming that means you probably need to do some legwork to gain entry, like getting someone known to Suzuki to introduce you to him via email or other means. Along with Bill V., the blog also mentions Tyler Sherrod worked there as an apprentice. Tyler is setting up a bonsai nursery--Dogwood Studios--in North Carolina. The website isn't up, but he's on Facebook. Might be worth asking him about how to get into Suzuki's place. I PM'd his email to you.

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The blog says the nursery is "private." I'm assuming that means you probably need to do some legwork to gain entry, like getting someone known to Suzuki to introduce you to him via email or other means. Along with Bill V., the blog also mentions Tyler Sherrod worked there as an apprentice. Tyler is setting up a bonsai nursery--Dogwood Studios--in North Carolina. The website isn't up, but he's on Facebook. Might be worth asking him about how to get into Suzuki's place. I PM'd his email to you.
Incredible help, thank you very much!

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi! I was lucky enough to get in touch with Makiko Koba through Instagram and she confirmed me the name of Iura's nursery in Nagano is Shoju-En (something like "The Garden of The Victorious/Winning Trees"?). This is in Kanji:

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The blog says the nursery is "private." I'm assuming that means you probably need to do some legwork to gain entry, like getting someone known to Suzuki to introduce you to him via email or other means.
The OP was referring to difficulty finding information on Iura’s garden. Suzuki’s is open to visitors, or at least it was three years ago when I went, though it took some digging to find the website. The garden happened to be closed the week I was there (I think Suzuki was gone), but I was able to talk my way in, anyway (using Google Translate 😆). It’s definitely worth the effort - it was the most impressive garden I saw in Japan.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi! I was lucky enough to get in touch with Makiko Koba through Instagram and she confirmed me the name of Iura's nursery in Nagano is Shoju-En (something like "The Garden of The Victorious/Winning Trees"?). This is in Kanji:

Just wondering, what's with all the YouTube channels and nurseries names ending in "-en" ? I know nothing of the language, I just can't figure it out

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just wondering, what's with all the YouTube channels and nurseries names ending in "-en" ? I know nothing of the language, I just can't figure it out
'En' is translated as 'garden', or a place where there are trees. In this very case you can translate it as 'nursery'

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not sure I don't read Japanese. Got the nursery name from a Peter Tea blog post
I just stumbled upon a videoblog filmed inside Shoju-en and I got this screenshot:

FAF3C097-4CBE-4178-A028-1D97B5422497.jpeg

you can find the video here (french language):

Either way, we found the name 💪🏼

Top Bottom