Bonsai scam alert

Tim Shoup

Sapling
Reaction score
I seen the FB post. No this was a tree he declined earlier for a lesser valued amount. But still above $1000 range. Was promised a quality tree brought in from Japan. Then he ended up paying MORE for the tree he initially declined on. Shady.
Actually, he declined the tree originally, was supposed to get something else, an actual show quality conifer thru proper quarantine conduits. He ended up with the SAME tree he rejected, and for MORE money! And it’s not “still above the $1000 range”, it was sold by Brussels for around $400.
if you’ve seen the thread, go back and carefully read the comments, (all of them), and you’ll see what the victim is proposing. Then tell me the victim is shady, lol
Oh and Bruce Rhea from Stillwater is now posing as “Woody Woodcarver” in the thread.

Tim Shoup

Sapling
Reaction score
That's the problem here. We have no way of telling who is telling the truth. I'd agree that bait and switch with a bonsai is crooked, but giving someone $2,500 on faith to purchase a "show quality" tree for a "bargain" is a bit, well, -to be charitable-naïve.
I do believe that Bruce from Stillwater is here and will see the post and all the comments. And I HOPE that he feels compelled to chime in, that’s why I even went out on a limb here and want to warn the community. I don’t argue that trusting someone can be naive, but there’s a ton of trust in the bonsai community and 99% of the time it’s perfectly fine. I’d like to see it stay that way despite predators like Stillwater

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Shoup

Sapling
Reaction score
I do believe that Bruce from Stillwater is here and will see the post and all the comments. And I HOPE that he feels compelled to chime in, that’s why I even went out on a limb here and want to warn the community. I don’t argue that texting someone can be naive, but there’s a ton of trust in the bonsai community and 99% of the time it’s perfectly fine. I’d like to see it stay that way despite predators like Stillwater
Edit— texting should have been “trusting”

Tim Shoup

Sapling
Reaction score
Just want to alert the bonsai community to a scam issue involving Bruce Rhea and his company, Stillwater Bonsai in Maine. His most egregious scam so far was selling a $300 tree as a “show quality” import tree for $2500, then refusing to work with the buyer, dodging and unfriending everyone.
That was a year ago, and he is starting to resurface in these forums and others like bonsai auctions.
There are at least 4 other people who have been scammed. There is no room in this community for such people. Beware!
Also, to all who are commenting, please note that my user name is my actual name. I’m not trolling this person and hiding behind some pseudo moniker online. I know the situation from the day it started last June.
was simply hoping this to be a public service announcement, lol

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds shady at best and probably fraudulent and appropriate to post it for the edification of others.
But .... let the buyer beware .... and use a bit of common sense.

rorror

Yamadori
Reaction score
I am with Leatherback here.

How i read this topic someone is doing "defamation" to a other person. And that is not the buyer or the seller.

Tim Shoup

Sapling
Reaction score
Interesting how everyone is willing to name the seller, but not who was so naive to give 2500 dollars for an unseen tree.
Feel free to PM me, and if you’d like, I can tag you in the discussion on FB regarding this circumstance, you can read the 200+ comments and determine an educated opinion directly!

Tim Shoup

Sapling
Reaction score
I am with Leatherback here.

How i read this topic someone is doing "defamation" to a other person. And that is not the buyer or the seller.
Just trying to warn the community about a well known and well documented issue. Not everyone has all the info, but I’m happy to provide a tag in the thread to anyone who PM’s me their info and would like to friend me on FB.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Feel free to PM me, and if you’d like, I can tag you in the discussion on FB regarding this circumstance, you can read the 200+ comments and determine an educated opinion directly!
Absolutely no interest. I am not into Trumpishish discussions.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whatever, don’t even know what that means, but see you’d rather just stay blissfully commenting without regard for facts, whomever you may be! Cheers
You don't know what that means and yet you are still critical of the response.
Time to drop this one.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the tree, after telling the buyer he was in or going to Japan, he bought this tree from Brussels and sent it to him. Absolute joke. When this first came out, anyone that messaged Bruce Rhea about it was immediately blocked and unfriended

Wait.. so the seller bought that from a reputable dealer, and then re-sold it for $2.5k. And the person who bought it never saw the tree or did his research on the tree before he bought it? Now the buyer is upset that the tree he purchased isn't the tree he had in his mind?

I just hope disappointment due to naivety isn't the sole reason that capitalism is made the villain here.

However, naming only one party/hearing only one side of the story is not very fair to make an unbiased assessment of the situation imo.

Regardless, I wish them both a successful growing season!

Tim Shoup

Sapling
Reaction score
Wait.. so the seller bought that from a reputable dealer, and then re-sold it for $2.5k. And the person who bought it never saw the tree or did his research on the tree before he bought it? Now the buyer is upset that the tree he purchased isn't the tree he had in his mind?

I just hope disappointment due to naivety isn't the sole reason that capitalism is made the villain here.

However, naming only one party/hearing only one side of the story is not very fair to make an unbiased assessment of the situation imo.

Regardless, I wish them both a successful growing season!
Not accurate, but if you’d like to understand totally, PM me and I’ll link you to the story on FB 👍

Top Bottom