Bonsai Soil

Larrytx

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been looking at the different recipes for bonsai soil and need a little help. As you know, some recipes call for a portion of sand to be added. All I can find is what type of sand not use and would like to know what type of sand is best for bonsai soil. Thanks

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've seen some premixed soils that contain "coarse river sand". You can get bags of it on Amazon, but if you look around, you might be able to find a better deal. I used some horticultural sand in a mix I made for starting oak acorns, but it was maybe too fine. I think you want to look for the coarser stuff.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have been looking at the different recipes for bonsai soil and need a little help. As you know, some recipes call for a portion of sand to be added. All I can find is what type of sand not use and would like to know what type of sand is best for bonsai soil. Thanks
Coarse River Sand in the older texts often referred to decomposed granite. The key is the particle size as suggested for a guideline you can use the smaller seive screen in a bonsai set. For a measurement guide I would avoid particles less than 1/8 of an inch in diameter and rarely use particles more than 3/8 of an inch in diameter. Some larger particles can be useful for drainage layers. Avoid fines and remove dust and organics. The best is consistent particle size based on the expected outcome, stage of development and care practices.
A good substitute that is relatively inexpensive is chicken grit or Turkey grit. Just need to be aware of PH. Another good substitute is the small grit used in the well drilling industry, once again checking the PH.

Larrytx

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks - I suppose that I can sift out the smaller portion throw a screen. Then sift out the larger pieces throw a piece of 1/4 inch hardware clothe.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What most of us call "sand" in Texas is too fine for bonsai. Something the size of aquarium gravel or 00 blasting sand would be OK.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Stick with lava, pumice, and something to hold water and nutrients. Taylor the ratios to your climate and watering needs. It'll take some experimenting to find the perfect mix for you.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I skip on the sand too, but plants need that sweet silicium to do a lot of things.
So I get a hand full of very fine cement sand every now and then, once a year maybe, and dust my plants with it as if I'm sowing grass seed. If the wind is right in the summer, we can get free sahara sand from the skies.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
as far as using bark in a mix... can anyone tell me where to get the appropriate size bark for bonsai? all i can find is huge chunks like mulch for your yard
thank you

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We were just having a very similar discussion here:

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
as far as using bark in a mix... can anyone tell me where to get the appropriate size bark for bonsai? all i can find is huge chunks like mulch for your yard
thank you
You can look in the big box stores for bags labeled “soil conditioner”. Some are mostly bark and peat. You just have to look around. If you can find busted bags in the slots you can see what it consists of. Here in NC I sift Scott’s brand topsoil. It’s all pine bark fines and sphagnum peat. Hope this helps

Top Bottom