Bonsai substrate holding water on top

kodedaa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello, I have just today repotted all my seedlings, to a more permanent location so they wont grow on top of each other in the pelets. I bought some bonsai substrate or whatever it really is (it’s says profi tho) and i can already tell some of the seedlings are too young to be replanted rn and won’t survive. But the ones that have the chance im gonna support as much as possible. But a slight problem occured, the substrate won’t let the water go inside.. it just stays on top and won’t do a thing, which could be a problem since the roots won’t get any water. Anyone got some tips? I already got the pots standing in water, hoping for some results, and occasionaly I spray the top with a bit of wather just enough so it’s a bit moist. I am really afraid they won’t survive

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Won't let the water go inside as in the substrate surface is repelling water? I have this problem with my sand yard soil. A touch of mild dish soap added to your water may be helpful with breaking the surface tension.

kodedaa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Won't let the water go inside as in the substrate surface is repelling water? I have this problem with my sand yard soil. A touch of mild dish soap added to your water may be helpful with breaking the surface tension.
Yes exaclty that, the water just stays on top and goes nowhere. But on some of the plants it goes straight down for some reason. One picture is the water getting repelled, on second it just goes in

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 31

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The soil looks too dry, which in that state acts hydrophobic. Once fully soaked, it will accept water more readily. The soil looks unsifted and/or pretty dense and very water retentive for bonsai. Not exactly a good thing. Try placing placing the pot into a water saucer so the soil can be hydrated from the bottom up through the drainage holes.

kodedaa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The soil looks too dry, which in that state acts hydrophobic. Once fully soaked, it will accept water more readily. The soil looks unsifted and/or pretty dense and very water retentive for bonsai. Not exactly a good thing. Try placing placing the pot into a water saucer so the soil can be hydrated from the bottom up through the drainage holes.
Yup, had the pots in water all night, didnt do a think. I am currently running out of time, as most of the seedlings are already dying, As for the soil, i bought it as a Substrate for Bonsais, I cant currently go and see whats it made of, but once i can, i definitely will take a look and post it here. Also i have some ceramic under the soil (called keramzit in here)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Use lukewarm water NOT hot. You should be able to hold your hand in it without any discomfort. Think Baby bath water. That should be absorbed.

Next repot, which should be soon, toss this substrate.

kodedaa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Use lukewarm water NOT hot. You should be able to hold your hand in it without any discomfort. Think Baby bath water. That should be absorbed.

Next repot, which should be soon, toss this substrate.
Okay, gonna try that, cuz regular water just does nothing.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometimes dry substrate will repel H2O. Peat moss especially bad at this. Sit pots in H2O up to rims of pots. After perhaps 2 hours lift and see if H2O runs out drain holes. Yes? Good! Try watering again and see if it sinks in now? If not leave in H2O overnight. As suggested use warm H2O with bit of dish soap.

kodedaa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometimes dry substrate will repel H2O. Peat moss especially bad at this. Sit pots in H2O up to rims of pots. After perhaps 2 hours lift and see if H2O runs out drain holes. Yes? Good! Try watering again and see if it sinks in now? If not leave in H2O overnight. As suggested use warm H2O with bit of dish soap.
So I tried on empty pot, with just the soil and the dish soap helped. My question is however, won't the dish soap hurt the plant? We are using JAR at home, which could be FAIRY elsewhere.

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will be difficult to grow your trees in that substrate. As for keramzit, it's what I use as substrate, mixed with a little perlite. Growing trees in this mix is very easy

kodedaa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will be difficult to grow your trees in that substrate. As for keramzit, it's what I use as substrate, mixed with a little perlite. Growing trees in this mix is very easy
yea that’s what i thought.. im thinking cuz it looks like the black pine don’t really mind it, to replant the Silk Mimosa in the same soil from the growing pelets? I don’t have much of it, just 2 pelets worth but it seems like a reasonable solution

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sorry, but I can't help you with that specific information due to the lack of experience. For your situation I can only give advice on how to use the growing media I talked about

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
yea that’s what i thought.. im thinking cuz it looks like the black pine don’t really mind it, to replant the Silk Mimosa in the same soil from the growing pelets? I don’t have much of it, just 2 pelets worth but it seems like a reasonable solution
When growing bonsai, or quite frankly, any plants in containers, it is really important that the soil mass is completely permeable. You want to be able to pour water onto the top of the soil, watch it instantly flow through the soil and out through the holes in the bottom of the pot, leaving damp (not saturated) soil behind. This is why almost all bonsai soil mixes are majority (if not completely) made with inorganic particles. Pumice, lava, and calcined clay, sifted to remove dust and particles that are too large or too small, are most commonly used. If you want to add organic matter, pine bark is ok - once again sifted for particle size and to remove dust.

What you don't want is a hydrophobic mix like what you are showing (which will not uniformly absorb water) or worse, a mix that is so dense it holds water and doesn't allow oxygen to penetrate - thereby killing the tree roots. Here is an example of Japanese black pine cuttings in pine bark with screened rough cut peat and pumice as a starting media. You can see how even using this mostly organic mix if you screen it and use chunky piece size, you will still get good water penetration:

cuttings.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I tried on empty pot, with just the soil and the dish soap helped. My question is however, won't the dish soap hurt the plant?
Which is why I suggested the lukewarm water. That has the same characteristics.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you use too much dish soap, yes, it will hurt the plant. A single drop will be enough to break the surface tension for 2 gallons of water. That's not enough to hurt your plants.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
the soil you have is called seed starter. It works fine IF you mix it with water before you put it in the pots. Tends to stay a little wet but that's the idea. It's meant for really small containers

Top Bottom