Bonsai tree(probably fake, im told) i got for my B_day! I really need info

svavar

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok guys, since we're here and you're eager to share your knowledge! :)

I got this little fellow for my birthday, it's bought in commercial store and i was told by someone online that it's not a real Bonsai, but still, it's in my care and i want to be able to care for it.

Can you give me some idea what kind it is, and what if there is anything i should be/ have to do ?

I send the images in full size so you can have a good look :)

vNL5hpg.jpg

6N0AcvW.jpg

UBn8be9.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Who ever told you that it is probably not a real bonsai is not one whose advise I would seek about bonsai. What you need to know is what species of tree it is and then determine if you can make a bonsai of it.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is a privet, Ligestrum. I think a Chinese privet. They're invasive here and are everywhere.

They make great bonsai. They are nearly indestructible. You can do pretty much anything to it except never give it water and it will live. I have successfully kept one inside but I think they need a rst period so I'd not recommend it.

Leaves reduce nicely.
Grow fast.
Hardy.
Indestructible.

What else do you need?

svavar

Seedling
Reaction score
Who ever told you that it is probably not a real bonsai is not one whose advise I would seek about bonsai. What you need to know is what species of tree it is and then determine if you can make a bonsai of it.
It is a privet, Ligestrum. I think a Chinese privet. They're invasive here and are everywhere.

They make great bonsai. They are nearly indestructible. You can do pretty much anything to it except never give it water and it will live. I have successfully kept one inside but I think they need a rst period so I'd not recommend it.

Leaves reduce nicely.
Grow fast.
Hardy.
Indestructible.

What else do you need?

Thats about it, Thank you guys. This info can get me started on Google :)
I only got some little info sheet with absolutely no goddamn info! it even has a qr code that leads to a website with even less info. It says : "No direct sunlight! - Keep soil most!"
Usefull sheet huh?

But thanks alot :)

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No it definitely needs direct sunlight. Use a chopstick in the soil for watering. Use balanced fertilizer during spring summer. That's all you need to know.

svavar

Seedling
Reaction score
Can I, and should I start shaping it or something at this point, or is this the form that it will be in ?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As you are in Iceland, I have no idea. What's your weather like right now?

I work on mine any time in spring or summer when it's growing strongly.

svavar

Seedling
Reaction score
As you are in Iceland, I have no idea. What's your weather like right now?

I work on mine any time in spring or summer when it's growing strongly.

It's name is f-ing Iceland, it's dark winter here for 9 months, and than we get sunny summer and the sun doesn't even go down over the night. The seasons are quite weird here at thedamn northern part of this planet..

I'll leave you guys a photo, luckily there wasn't a snowstorm (it has actually been blind snowstorms almost all this winter, it has been unusually hard winter this year... So i probably have to get some indoor lighting for japanese plans.
But i am going to make my own bonsai from the tough plants that chose this place to lay their roots. That could be interesting :)

icelandwinter.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd look into repotting too. Looks like it could use it maybe.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start!

In that part of the world......you're going to have to be pretty inventive!

It's definitely one of the better beginnings we've seen from beginners.

Sorce

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Iceland is a harsh environment you should be able to find some stunted trees to collect.

There are people doing bonsai in Alaska I can't see why you cant make the growing season in Iceland work for you. Do some searching you might find a club or two.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'd say you have a good start to enter the hobby with. I see am umbrella style in that tree. Repot, fettilize and give it some light. Get those branches to thicken up over the next growing season with light pruning, but keeping a mindful eye on future branches.

Happy birthday and welcome to BNut!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've actually been to Iceland :) Very beautiful women. Nice wool sweaters :)

I have privets that grow wild outside all year (here in Southern California) so I would consider it very adaptable material that doesn't need cold. During the Summer, you can put it outside and it would benefit, but it can stay indoors all year as long as it is in front of a south-facing window.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Every tree in a pot is basicly a bonsai, but you are right that this one is not really showable/developed, yet :rolleyes:

Top Bottom