Bonsaisite forums down again?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since I'm puter challenged, has anyone complied a list of all the Bonsai websites, I visit about four and post on three. I am curious how many there are.

Seriously Harry, in addition to Tom's ecellent list, check out the bottom of this page http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/index.html

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ryan,

Why should this annoy you?....... Are you financially vested in this site?

What people sometimes forget is that when a site is started, its done by one person or a group of people that invest time and money into it. When that site gets really big storage can be a huge issue and in some cases become expensive depending who hosts it. At some point those owners may decide to take other actions such as temporarily close the site, what till the month is over to let the storage and bandwidth monthly cycle renew...i.e. ...BT, or shut it down all together.

Then you have the people who are Administrators, Editors and/or Moderators who invest themselves deeply to bring you a platform to better your art. Think these people might get tired of it as well or want a break from the financial and time demands. Its a lot of work to run a forum/site and it amazes me that so many do so willingly to help better the art.

So unless your making a donation to this site or have some other stake in it, why would you feel that this site should be up and running for your own edification? Don't get annoyed...look for other alternatives......there are many. Enjoy each site you visit and take what you can from them, nothing lasts forever.

A short list (listed alphabetically) of some of the ones I frequent that have good content and are unique in their own right.

AoB

Ausbonsai

Bonsaistudygroup

BonsaiVault

BonsaiNut

IBC

KoB

It just seems to be going down a lot and it is the only site I really feel comfortable in. I'm not a huge fan of this one as I feel it is too advanced for my skills.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It just seems to be going down a lot and it is the only site I really feel comfortable in. I'm not a huge fan of this one as I feel it is too advanced for my skills.

Ryan,

That is understandable. However once you get past the growling ole coots...there is a lot to learn here and on any of the forums that I put on my previous list.

Understand that a lot of people have been on the bonsai boards for...well....lets just say they started when computers had tubes :D All of the "vets" will and have gone out of their way to help anyone that participates, shows interest and has reasonable questions. Some even know what there talking about:D

Its all matter of getting use to a certain forum, its members, and its flavor. Immerse yourself and let knowledge be your goal...not comfort-ability

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think some of the "annoyed" part is that some of us were in the middle of conversations when the site just disappears. Don't get me wrong, I understand that being part of a forum is time consuming. That's why I'm not doing it myself right now. However it seems right when you get comfortable, "things" happen and another regular site becomes "irregular".

I really liked BT because of the graphical format and the gallery always ran across the top of the page. We all know how that one has gone. I guess if that site hadn't gone down I would have never found BonsaiNut.:eek: This is actually my number one forum but I do browse Bonsaisite when I have the time and was reading a real nice personal experience about germinating Japanese Maples. I always print the good stuff and put it in my file cabinet for just such a situation but I didn't even have time on this one. I went back to print it and got the site error.:(

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For everyone keeping track, it seems to be back online

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
bonsaiTALK Share

Unfortunately due to a server overlimit issue, it's been necessary to take bonsaiTALK down for a short time to complete the domain transfer. Additional information will be posted here as it becomes available. Sorry for the very short notice. We hope to be back soon.

bonsaiTALK Staff

Cleared history, tossed my cookies, pc runs a bit faster, but still NG, any thoughts??

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought this thread was about bonsaiSITE forums. BonsaiTALK is still down.

Top Bottom