Both sides

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mojo, I had a similar experience with same vendor this spring. A big disappointment. It was also a JBP.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, unfortunately when I saw the wire, I removed it without thinking too much.......:(

Is there any way that anyone knows of to encourage the areas to heal over? Or will the severed edges just scar and pull back?:confused:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, the pictures are not pretty. :eek: If it's the same vendor I'm thinking of, the prices aren't particularly discounted either. I'd be pretty pissed if I spent hard earned money and that's what I received (and how I received it through the s&h process).

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well, unfortunately when I saw the wire, I removed it without thinking too much.......:(

Is there any way that anyone knows of to encourage the areas to heal over? Or will the severed edges just scar and pull back?:confused:

In the ground it must go! OR In the mulch pile it must go.

It will take a millennium to close those wounds in a pot. Hopefully your trunk will thicken and you may have the opportunity to reduce. My feeling is that these scares...both yours and mine will never heal completely and a tell tale will always be visible...to you if to no one else. However, with some creative pruning and reduction that those scares maybe visibly reduced or if you lucky possibly incorporated into the tree design.

The best you can do is try and make lemonade out of lemons at this point

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
King of jbp my ass, look at his video sometime if you want to laugh you ass off. I'm not bragging, his best tree is not as good as my worst tree. He's a legend in his own mind only.

keep it green,
Harry

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Met him at a show once a little to full of himself for my taste.

BoneSci

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of Lindsey Farr's World of Bonsai videos highlights a nursery in Japan that uses wire in this fashion (not to rip people off :( but to embed into the trunk of JBPs and thicken them quicker). It may be worth a look. Unfortunately there are a lot of them and I cannot remember exacly which episode it was - either series two episode 4 or 5.
*edit* see http://www.vimeo.com/8052130

After a while the scars are not really visible unless you know they were there.

Chris

Last edited:

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As a secret lemonade drinker i would look into filling the spirals with a permanent filler and then apply some kind of healing balm to the wound.

I was thinking maybe the decandlings could be used by removing the tips and mashing them to a fine paste before application to the injury site.

Last edited:

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of Lindsey Farr's World of Bonsai videos highlights a nursery in Japan that uses wire in this fashion

Yes, but this wire was not at the trunk base but much farther up. I don't know anyone who wants to induce reverse taper, do you?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lol... oh Mojo... stop being so logical. :p

My biggest trouble with legitimizing the process of imbedding wire is that you also never get to carve any interesting deadwood into the tree as it gets older... I would be irrate to be sold a tree I couldn't carve into because of something like that. :mad:

V

BoneSci

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Mojosan I thought the wire went all the way to the soil level. Just trying to pull something positive out of an unfortunately crappy situation.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is anyone going to post this company's name? Message me, I'll do it.

Top Bottom