Bought some Zelkova and Hornsbeam today. It is ok to shape trimming while its in dormant ?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
you can prune whenever you have the cutters in hand, ive done loads already in the last 3 weeks.only with maples you want to leave a larger stub than usual to compensate for die back.
couple of zelkova i just did

a maple about 3 weeks ago

Attachments

• 20191204_175140.jpg
    20191204_175140.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Polish_20191206_202209129.jpg
    Polish_20191206_202209129.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20191111_134629.jpg
    20191111_134629.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
you can prune whenever you have the cutters in hand, ive done loads already in the last 3 weeks.only with maples you want to leave a larger stub than usual to compensate for die back.

I basically replied so you didn’t have to :p I knew you’d say exact same thing, as we were talking about it recently.

The one maple I need to slightly prune, I’m going to wait to do. That’s my difference.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
There wasn’t much left material to pick from, these are all half priced so most are $20-$50. I am new to bonsai so I will have some fun with these. And a couple I may do clump style.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

Thats some beautiful materials you got there sir! Thank you.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would do some of the bigger chops mid summer if I were you. Let it use that leaf mass to develop new roots if you are repotting in spring, then boom in mid summer hack it back if healthy (especially zelkova). Hornbeam can die back to on weaker branches in my experience too so use caution. Anything smaller than a Pinky is no worries.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm about 1.5 hours out.
But broke as a joke!
I think I'm actually gonna try to manage what I have for next year, and not buy any new ones, unless.....well.......
From my job (Ft Meade) it's a little over an hour, that's why I mentioned during the week would be good for me I'll just cut out from work early. From home it's about 2.5hrs away.

If I go I don't plan on getting anything big just small stuff I don't have for propagating.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I would do some of the bigger chops mid summer if I were you. Let it use that leaf mass to develop new roots if you are repotting in spring, then boom in mid summer hack it back if healthy (especially zelkova). Hornbeam can die back to on weaker branches in my experience too so use caution. Anything smaller than a Pinky is no worries.

Thank you I am planting to repot in the spring. All I've done today is cutting off extra long twigs to scratch my itch lol.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thank you I am planting to repot in the spring. All I've done today is cutting off extra long twigs to scratch my itch lol.
I know that feeling, patience is the hardest part of Bonsai for me.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeh some good wild looking material to work on. For the price, definitely worth it. That’s really good material for starting off. And the species are tough and forgiving.

unless.....well.......

I hear that.... lol

Top Bottom