Boxwood. worth digging?

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If it makes it through the summer ensure to protect it well during the winter. Maybe healed in next to your home. Good luck it looks awesome
Its in part sun now with less than 3 hours full sun right now. So far its pulling through like a champ. It will definitely be on the ground and tucked in mulch.
Being that it dont drop its leaves. How much sun should it get in the winter?

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've not had many for long but two different ones recovered only to not make it through the winter. I actually just worked this one for the first time. It stayed tucked on the north side of my home this winter. It looks healthy so I just started reducing some branching and carving back the dead stuff 20220501_181400.jpg20220501_192816.jpg

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've not had many for long but two different ones recovered only to not make it through the winter. I actually just worked this one for the first time. It stayed tucked on the north side of my home this winter. It looks healthy so I just started reducing some branching and carving back the dead stuff View attachment 433556View attachment 433557
Those look good. Can't wait to see them after you work your magic on them.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
removing all green growth can kill it.
Not true. I've dug up dozens of boxwoods and always cut off all the foliage. They bud back within a few weeks. I've never lost one.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not true. I've dug up dozens of boxwoods and always cut off all the foliage. They bud back within a few weeks. I've never lost one.

Can be true. I've lost limbs cutting boxwood back past the last green. I've seen boxwood never recover from cutting past all foliage. They usually do fine, but sometimes can surprise you. There may be other, unrecognized factors involved. So it comes down to how much risk you want to take. Safe choice, leave some green. Pretty safe choice (but sometimes get bit in the butt) cut off all green.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So have I. I 've seen it kill some trees. Most are fine, some are not. This isn't a boxwood anyway. It's a holly (probably yaupon).

FWIW, I work with many old boxwood, some as old at 200 years. Those can backbud from old wood with little problem out of sheer momentum. This can greatly depend on growing conditions and boxwood type. English box --(the regular variety-Buxus sempervirens) can be touchy depending on time of pruning and condition. Japanese boxwood (Buxus microphylla) (along with its cultivars like Korean, wintergreen, etc.) not so touchy.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FWIW, I work with many old boxwood, some as old at 200 years. Those can backbud from old wood with little problem out of sheer momentum. This can greatly depend on growing conditions and boxwood type. English box --(the regular variety-Buxus sempervirens) can be touchy depending on time of pruning and condition. Japanese boxwood (Buxus microphylla) (along with its cultivars like Korean, wintergreen, etc.) not so touchy.
I know we are bouncing back and forth between holly and boxwood discussions, but I can confirm that you can completely defoliate Yaupon or Japanese holly and it will back bud everywhere. If you cut back large branches (more than 1" diameter) you may get die-back, but not always, depending on the strength of the tree.

Top Bottom