Brazilian Raintree grooming

Hlavacekjr

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a BRT that I have pruned and am careful to prevent dieback. My question is about the branch nubs that are leftover. Can I remove them or groom them? Or is it best to leave them?

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They will dieback on their own but I remove them sometimes once I see growth from the node before. Usually I just let them take care of themselves.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I have a BRT that I have pruned and am careful to prevent dieback. My question is about the branch nubs that are leftover. Can I remove them or groom them? Or is it best to leave them?
Leave them.
They will die back, and when they are dry it is going to be safe to remove the stubs.
@leatherback , thanks for calling my attention!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, you leave the stub until its dies back to the previous node. Once it's dead, you can cut it back. You can tell it is dead because the color of the branch changes from that grey/green to an orange/brown.

If it's a stub where you'll be cutting back to the trunk really make sure it's dead. Cutting back a live branch to the trunk can cause dieback down the trunk.

I always leave stubs at least a year.

Hlavacekjr

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies! This was very helpful and I will inspect to make sure they are certainly dead or leave them l, as a few are off of the main trunk.

Top Bottom