Breaking a Spruce trunk.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As a docent for our local bonsai club at the North Carolina State Fair this year I noticed a great deal of interest shown by the young people in the 6 to 16 year old category. They weren’t necessarily interested in bonsai rules as they were in trees that seemed to tell a story. A miniature forest on a slab walked away with peoples choice.

I say this because I would like to make a tree that would appeal to the younger age group. I have a Dwarf Alberta Spruce that has a double trunk at about the 4” height. I would like to take the larger trunk and break it just above the split and make it look as if the tree was hit by lightning.

I know these trees make poor bonsai so after a couple of years it would probably get planted in the yard.

My question is- can I just break the trunk or should I use a specific method to make it look damaged. I would really like to capture the kids interest and get them into bonsai. Also, when would be the best time of the year to break the trunk?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know these trees make poor bonsai so after a couple of years it would probably get planted in the yard.
You mean that you've found firsthand that your capabilities with them are far less adequate than working with other species?
My question is- can I just break the trunk or should I use a specific method to make it look damaged. I would really like to capture the kids interest and get them into bonsai. Also, when would be the best time of the year to break the trunk?
I've found their stems to be too flexible/pliable to simply break. The standard way to do this kind of thing is to cut part way through, then bend and tear down the top from there. Then you rough up the cut spot so it doesn't look cut - squeeze it with a plier, then peel a few strands until it look good. Alternatively, you can grab a small branch near its base and rip in down (it may need a small cut/nick in the crotch). I don't know that it particularly matters when you do this, though it leaves the tree somewhat more vulnerable to infection when it is done during dormancy.

Alternatively, you might just want to make a shari by pulling off the bark. The technique is similar, to cut the bark at the top/beginning of the shari, lift it up, grab it (with fingers or a plier), and pull down. You may need to use a knife to stop the tearing at the bottom of your shari. This is far easier to do during the growing season as the bark will easily lift off the wood.

Once you've got this done, you can use a knife point to lift some fibers and tear those up/down to enhance the appearance.

Then, there is also carving to make the trunk/shari appear to have rotted out, but I doubt you have this kind of thing in mind with a dwarf alberta.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You mean that you've found firsthand that your capabilities with them are far less adequate than working with other species?

I've found their stems to be too flexible/pliable to simply break. The standard way to do this kind of thing is to cut part way through, then bend and tear down the top from there. Then you rough up the cut spot so it doesn't look cut - squeeze it with a plier, then peel a few strands until it look good. Alternatively, you can grab a small branch near its base and rip in down (it may need a small cut/nick in the crotch). I don't know that it particularly matters when you do this, though it leaves the tree somewhat more vulnerable to infection when it is done during dormancy.

Alternatively, you might just want to make a shari by pulling off the bark. The technique is similar, to cut the bark at the top/beginning of the shari, lift it up, grab it (with fingers or a plier), and pull down. You may need to use a knife to stop the tearing at the bottom of your shari. This is far easier to do during the growing season as the bark will easily lift off the wood.

Once you've got this done, you can use a knife point to lift some fibers and tear those up/down to enhance the appearance.

Then, there is also carving to make the trunk/shari appear to have rotted out, but I doubt you have this kind of thing in mind with a dwarf alberta.

To answer your first question- no, I learned this from searching posts on DAS. At my age I don’t have time for mistakes so I learn from other people’s experience.

Thanks to you and @Adair M for very good information. I am going to leave the tree in its nursery pot until February or March. I will then see what the tree wants to do. Hopefully I will have something that can capture the imagination of the kids within a couple of years.

Top Bottom