Broom style bonsai from Witches Broom (American Elm)

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Last year, I got interested in witches brooms after encountering an Azalea with one. This one is an American Elm I bought around August 2018, it had a Witches Broom at around 1/3 of its height (at two geet); the tree was about 6 feet total height. I asked the Nursery owner for a way to chop it down, and he immediatly understood what I was up to. I chopped it down to a manageable size to put into my car. Then, I proceeded to cut the trunk down as much as I could into the new top. I know this tree might be a little slim for the norm, but I couldn't resist having an instant bonsai. This spring, I went back and cut back all the branches, because they looked like long fingers. I am hoping that they branch out nicely... we'll see. The first picture shows the tree's current state, the second picture shows the cut to the main tree when I purchased it, and the third picture shows how I remember the tree looked like when I purchased it. Should I start wiring the short branches to open it a bit more, or should I go "Au Naturale" ? Thanks

IMG_0317.jpg IMG_0319.jpg american elm wtches broom chomp.png

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sry about the time lag. The tree vidded out about a month after the previous post. This is what it looks like this spring, before snipping and root prunning.
I cut out the two lower branches too. They seem to come back every year.
48628BBC-FCB4-4CF2-91D3-590F71A28306.jpeg

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
And here are some of the root cuttings that came out of it. The first one is pretty large. About the same girth as the main tree. In the second, a root cutting (middle) is planted backward. Will it root ?
4082CE06-D251-49C9-832A-114D6ECDB80A.jpegB17B28FF-2962-4513-ACB8-07EE5C871BC8.jpeg

Top Bottom