What makes a good broom style bonsai?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I picked up a tree today, an American beech with the intention of developing it into a broom style bonsai. I bought it from our own Bob at Kimura nursery. The trees were grown from seed from a tree out of Arizona and have grown fine in the hot socal climate. I'm not exactly sure what species it is but they've been doing fine in Southern California for over 10 years.

The nebari is decent and some mature bark is beginning to form. I will do the chop and major root work late winter. I don't know too much about broom style trees but I think this is a good candidate to build one from. The flare and nebari is decent and will be a good foundation to build from. Any tips or pointers?

DSC01254.JPG

DSC01253.JPG

DSC01251.JPG

DSC01250.JPG

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
They look like Zelkova leaves being single serrated like that.
That's what I was thinking, it looks very similar. Maybe I can get this tree and a zelkova side by side some time. I do trust what Bob told me about the origins of this tree though.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Has a nice nebari.........looks like a chop is in order........I am just not sure when to do it....something along these lines......https://www.bonsaitree.co.za/blogs/...se-zelkova-broom-style-from-humble-beginnings
Almost certain that is zelkova
The main difference I've seen between this tree against zelkovas is that the growth produces very coarse leathery leaves that are very dull or matte in color. The zelkovas I've seen have more delicate growth with a brighter green color. For now I'll just call it the Arizona beech tree.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a Zelkova in the ground that has that same flaky bark development....and those identical marks on the trunk and branches.
American Beech that I have in the ground have a very smooth gray color bark with no roughness developed.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The main difference I've seen between this tree against zelkovas is that the growth produces very coarse leathery leaves that are very dull or matte in color. The zelkovas I've seen have more delicate growth with a brighter green color. For now I'll just call it the Arizona beech tree.
Zelkova can vary a good bit in their Leaf quality. I have some that turn red in the fall. And some that turn yellow. So they vary.

That’s a Zelkova.

As for making a broom out of it...

It has a really ugly scar on the trunk. The nebari is “heavy”. That is, it has a few very large roots rather than a lot of small roots.

A good broom will have a round, straight trunk with no visible scars. Even nebari all around.

I would not make a broom out of this tree. It would, however, make a good forest tree! I bet you could take several air layers off this tree, and root some cuttings and grow them out. In a couple years you could have the makings for a nice Zelkova forest! And the trees would all have the same leaf quality since they would be clones of the mother tree.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Zelkova can vary a good bit in their Leaf quality. I have some that turn red in the fall. And some that turn yellow. So they vary.

That’s a Zelkova.

As for making a broom out of it...

It has a really ugly scar on the trunk. The nebari is “heavy”. That is, it has a few very large roots rather than a lot of small roots.

A good broom will have a round, straight trunk with no visible scars. Even nebari all around.

I would not make a broom out of this tree. It would, however, make a good forest tree! I bet you could take several air layers off this tree, and root some cuttings and grow them out. In a couple years you could have the makings for a nice Zelkova forest! And the trees would all have the same leaf quality since they would be clones of the mother tree.
I thought that was just older bark splitting, not a scar. Thanks for the suggestion to use this for a forest. Actually I'd love to make one. Right now I'm trying not to undertake any complicated projects though. If my plans work out I'll be starting an apprenticeship in the next year or so. Just want to give these trees good starts then pass them on to others to care and develop them.

As for the nebari isn't that something I can improve and develop over time? Or is the current root spread too coarse as it is to create a even nebari in the future.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought that was just older bark splitting, not a scar. Thanks for the suggestion to use this for a forest. Actually I'd love to make one. Right now I'm trying not to undertake any complicated projects though. If my plans work out I'll be starting an apprenticeship in the next year or so. Just want to give these trees good starts then pass them on to others to care and develop them.

As for the nebari isn't that something I can improve and develop over time? Or is the current root spread too coarse as it is to create a even nebari in the future.
It might be older bark splitting. But usually, Zelkova don’t do that. Their trunks remain smooth.

I would consider the current root spread too coarse.

It’s a lot of time and trouble to make a quality broom. Which is why I would start with a better piece of material. I’d hate to work on something for a decade and then realize it will never be top quality.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
It might be older bark splitting. But usually, Zelkova don’t do that. Their trunks remain smooth.

I would consider the current root spread too coarse.

It’s a lot of time and trouble to make a quality broom. Which is why I would start with a better piece of material. I’d hate to work on something for a decade and then realize it will never be top quality.
Fair enough. I'll just mess around with this material for now and keep by eye out for better broom material.

Are brooms more commonly started from cutting and air layer to achieve better nebari?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fair enough. I'll just mess around with this material for now and keep by eye out for better broom material.

Are brooms more commonly started from cutting and air layer to achieve better nebari?
You can start them from seed!

I think the fastest route is by air layer.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i have a euro beech going, two actually, and they are slow growers from what ive read and seen. i did a hard cut on one with 1" trunk a few mos ago and at this point i got two back buds about a cm long going with baby leaves

that looks like it has good potential. near a campus where i live is a massive crimson beech. in fall mos and winter they have like whiteish yellow leaves for the euro ones

Top Bottom