Buffalo Juniper restyle?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here's a cascade buffalo juniper that's due for a major rework. I have too many ideas to be decisive. Putting it out there for comments. Has anyone else worked with this these. Juvenile growth is not the norm but I'm having a hard time getting it compact.

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A few thoughts, just random ideas not a complete plan.

- tilt your tree the other way so that the trunk doesn't come almost straight out of the soil. This also might help hide the reverse taper where all of the branches come off the trunk.

- lose the "branch" at the top of the tree growing away from the cascade

- cascade branch is very straight and rather uninteresting (the top is much more interesting). I would either cut it back to semi-cascade, or wire a lot more movement

- I would at least consider completely losing the cascade and making this an upright plant.

- Compact! Losing the top "branch" will help, as would wiring movement into the cascade or cutting to semi-cascade. Wire more movement into the branches on the top, bringing them closer to the trunk.

You have a few different options, but right now this plant seems to be pulling in a couple different directions. It needs some consolidation, more cohesion. Don't be discouraged because this looks like it can be turned into something very interesting. But it will take a plan/vision, and perhaps a bold move.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think a bold move in order. It's pretty stupid the way it is no now. The top branch (if you look at the 2nd pic) is very distractive in the way it come out and up. The trunk really doesn't have reverse taper. I think its just the photos. I was thinking of cutting the entire cascade off, although after seeing your virtual there may be something in that. Can these thing back bud at all if you leave some green?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know specifically about this juniper, but there are a good number that I know of that will bud on older wood. Not smooth wood, but wood with bumps/nodules/warts. Often this is sparked by cutting the plant back (just not to bare wood) and fertilizing heavily.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well, here's where it's at. Cut most of the cascade off...mmmm ..a little too leggy for my taste. Cut all if it off as well as some other big branches. Made the chari bigger which allowed me to carve some of the reverse taper out. One pic with your tilt (sorry for bad pic). I tried doing some wiring but I didn't like the sounds it was making. I'll wait till spring. Any comments for where to pull next? Pot suggestions?

Attachments

• _MG_0834.jpg
    _MG_0834.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_0832.jpg
    _MG_0832.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 66
  • _MG_0831.jpg
    _MG_0831.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 63
  • _MG_0830.jpg
    _MG_0830.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 56
  • _MG_0828.jpg
    _MG_0828.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 64

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What does it look like from the back right corner of pic 4? I wasn't expecting full upright, but it looks like it could have some interesting trunk curvature and branch placement from that angle.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
What is a "buffalo" juniper? That has me buffaloed.

I wish we could outlaw common names!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What does it look like from the back right corner of pic 4? I wasn't expecting full upright, but it looks like it could have some interesting trunk curvature and branch placement from that angle.

Here's that view. The trunk falling back and the apex is about vertical. Might be able to tilt it forward but the trunk would still be flowing back. I like this styling by committee. Good fun!!

Attachments

• _MG_0833.jpg
    _MG_0833.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 45

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would have definitely kept the cascade. In my opinion, I think that with some wiring and a few years, this was going to be a nice tree. You are left with a very problematic tree now.

I have a cascade that I have been training for about 6-7 years. It is similar to this one. However, it was not very good material to start with. I actually had to develop it for a few years plus to get it to the level yours was before you cut it. It is not a show stopper, not yet anyway. However, as the years go on. It gets nicer and nicer.

Rob

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I would have definitely kept the cascade. In my opinion, I think that with some wiring and a few years, this was going to be a nice tree. You are left with a very problematic tree now.
Rob

It may have been a bad move. However I really never thought the tree would amount to much after I had it a few year. It somehow managed to hang around with all its flaws, because it was the "experimental tree". And now it is performing it's duty again. I very much enjoy the design problem child. I think the repot and some wire will change it for the better. Nothing ventured..... One thing I won't miss is repotting that tall cascade pot!!

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Personally I think you went in the right direction removing cascade.
I'd like to see you bring the top down and maybe cut the small branch on the bottom right.
Good Luck

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's that view. The trunk falling back and the apex is about vertical. Might be able to tilt it forward but the trunk would still be flowing back. I like this styling by committee. Good fun!!

I think your best front would be this rotated about 20-30 degrees clockwise. You've probably done enough work already if you're planning to repot this year. I personally would try to get some more styling done and repot next year. But either way, this is how I see this plant working out eventually. Wire that long straight section of the trunk below the apex and try to move it forward several inches, lowering the apex in the process. See if you can get some movement into it also to compact the apex further. If it's too stiff for wire, I'd try rebar, bark slitting, trunk splitting, or something else. This has to be fixed, or the plant will never work. Wire the branches near the apex downward to try to cover the empty space. Try to get some more movement into your bottom branches to get them closer to the trunk. These branches make your plant look sort of "pine-ish" (juniper branches should not be seen . . . Gasp!), so instead of trying to hide them or apologize for them, make them a focus. See if you can get the same movement in them as you have in the trunk. You can tilt the trunk forward at repotting, but I think it is fine moving away. It will be easier to judge changing the potting angle after the apex has been moved.

Last edited:

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Stan.. I think that could work with tilting the trunk quite a bit. It hasn't been repotted for 5 years, so it's due. I'm taking a ceramics class this winter and playing with some crazy pot designs and I think I'll try making one that'll let me tilt it even more. Here's a pot that didn't quite make it to the kiln...rock-pot made by a crackpot!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 45

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well here is the before and after. I think it still needs some tweaking, but for now I'll just let it recuperate.

Attachments

• _MG_0853.jpg
    _MG_0853.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I like what you've done and think it's much improved from when it was a cascade.

I might suggest next time you work this tree you bust out the raffia and really condense this tree. You could work with it as it sits and eventually produce a good tree. However, with some massive bends you could have a really good tree a lot faster. Junipers are so much fun because you can totally change the design in one shot. The tree is headed in the right direction and you made some difficult choices. I'll be waiting to see some more updates. Nice work!

Just another idea...

buffaloj-1.jpg

Top Bottom