Bug be gone

Jo Ann

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was watching a DIY gardening show the other day, cant remember which one and the lady was offering advice on how to get rid of aphids. She said to squish them but to leave there dead bodies on the plant. According to her the dead bodies will scare off all the other aphids…hmm never heard of that before….think its true?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
According to her the dead bodies will scare off all the other aphids…hmm never heard of that before….think its true?

If I ventured up on a bunch of bonsai enthusiasts and saw them squished. That would sure scare the hell out of me. I'd definitely do a 180 and head the other way.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
According to her the dead bodies will scare off all the other aphids…hmm never heard of that before….think its true?

I don't think it's true. On my roses, the aphids are carried there by ants. The aphids have no say in the matter. I think if an ant ran into a smashed aphid, it would think "lunch" not "death". In order to control aphids I control the ants - no ants, no aphids. This may only be a Southern California phenom, however.

Top Bottom