Building a wet slab bonsai pot

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@ABCarve did you push the bump out on the bridge pot?

That made it for me.

Great pot.

Sorce

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your process really does look like how a wood worker would approach pottery, fascinating.

ABCarve

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@ABCarve did you push the bump out on the bridge pot?

That made it for me.

Great pot.

Sorce
I did...that's the nice thing about wet slabs...you can push them wherever you like. These pots were created from the plug beside them. The slabs give you a compressed, consistent wall thickness with minimal joints, but still very plastic.

Attachments

markyscott

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
One of my favorite threads - thanks for posting and keeping this updated!

scott

penumbra

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you use a wet box to store the individual pieces in prior to assembly?

ABCarve

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do you use a wet box to store the individual pieces in prior to assembly?
I do sometime use a wet box, but not prior to assembly. There really isn't much to assemble. The slabs are used immediately after I roll them out. I'll use a wet box or garbage bag, depending on the size of the piece, to let the whole pots moisture homogenize, so it can dry more evenly. Large pots stay out for a few hours per day. That time is increased as the pot becomes firmer.

ABCarve

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The purple haze. Can’t wait for spring!

Attachments

ABCarve

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Some more fruits of labor.

Attachments

W3rk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m experimenting with a new form. I like flaring sides but shadows obscure the surface under the flare. I’m hoping this is a solution.
I just wanted to say that I really like what you are doing here. It seems to me that you are taking some pretty traditional pot forms/styles and adding what feels like some more contemporary/modern elements. Looking really good.

Also as a pottery student (currently learning the wheel), who is really curious about hand construction techniques, I greatly appreciate seeing how you are working with these molds/forms. Thank you for all of the documentation, it's great to see. Previously I had only seen video of Japanese potters using large plaster molds.

ABCarve

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks. Glad you are enjoying it. I’m hoping someone can add more to the technique. Design wise.... I’ve always wondered what bonsai pots would’ve looked like if they had gone through all of the European/American Art movements.

ABCarve

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just wanted to say that I really like what you are doing here. It seems to me that you are taking some pretty traditional pot forms/styles and adding what feels like some more contemporary/modern elements. Looking really good.

Also as a pottery student (currently learning the wheel), who is really curious about hand construction techniques, I greatly appreciate seeing how you are working with these molds/forms. Thank you for all of the documentation, it's great to see. Previously I had only seen video of Japanese potters using large plaster molds.[QUOTE/]
Thanks . Glad you are enjoying it. I’m hoping someone can add more to the technique. Design wise.... I’ve always wondered what bonsai pots would’ve looked like if they had gone through all of the European/American Art movemen

JoshuaRN

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’d really like to stress that the art that gets over looked In this is in making the form, even using one just for 18”+ it’s surprising hard to get consistent foam lines and taper. Mr.abcarve (lol resisting calling you your normal name) makes
This look easy and even after venting to him still
Makes it sound easy lol. Truly unique and impressive method.

Top Bottom