BUNJIN RED PINE

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes always, otherwise it falls forward. I will need to find a solution. I'd hate to change the pot as I think it is perfect for this tree so will need to think of something else?

When repot - maybe a couple/few heavy fishing sinkers. Could prob get a pound or two more weight in the base of pot depending on the root situation.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes always, otherwise it falls forward. I will need to find a solution. I'd hate to change the pot as I think it is perfect for this tree so will need to think of something else?
Hmmm. Custom stand / base with a method of securing the pot to it, eg fishing line from drainage hole through stand and secured under it?

Do you have any trees on rock? It might look good leaning over a cliff edge.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks so much better with that apex and multiple layers instead of two parallel layers.

Congrats, love it

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Mach,
Do you ever do anything about the flaking bark? I’ve a few trees, pear, Chinese elm, olive, whose bark flakes off completely and it’s such a shame as it looks great whilst on.
I think I’ve heard of super glue... little cheat, to keep bits of bark on.
Do you do anything about this or just allow it to happen?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hey Mach,
Do you ever do anything about the flaking bark? I’ve a few trees, pear, Chinese elm, olive, whose bark flakes off completely and it’s such a shame as it looks great whilst on.
I think I’ve heard of super glue... little cheat, to keep bits of bark on.
Do you do anything about this or just allow it to happen?

Conor, yes! I keep it all in bags! Do not discard. You can use these pieces to disguise scars specially if you are planning to exhibit. Learned this from the master himself Bill Valavanis. It is unavoidable and part of the natural cycle of trees. Bark is dead tissue that sloughs off naturally after a period of time. I do not try and replace it. I just let it be. My big Mirai elm sheds pieces of bark once in a while as well as this bunjin pine as well as others.

So I let nature take its course but I do keep keep the pieces for future need.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm. Custom stand / base with a method of securing the pot to it, eg fishing line from drainage hole through stand and secured under it?

Do you have any trees on rock? It might look good leaning over a cliff edge.

Exactly! Use fish hook in pots drainage hole and secure under stand;).

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Conor, yes! I keep it all in bags! Do not discard. You can use these pieces to disguise scars specially if you are planning to exhibit. Learned this from the master himself Bill Valavanis. It is unavoidable and part of the natural cycle of trees. Bark is dead tissue that sloughs off naturally after a period of time. I do not try and replace it. I just let it be. My big Mirai elm sheds pieces of bark once in a while as well as this bunjin pine as well as others.

So I let nature take its course but I do keep keep the pieces for future need.

Provided you can find the bits of bark! :). Thanks, will keep hold of any flakes I find.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for all the creative solutions! I shall look into some of them and see what might work best.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really a stunning design! Keep an eye on overwintering there in NJ!

Lynn from our club has a red pine that she has been keeping spectacularly healthy here in NJ for years. Talk to her on Saturday if you have any questions. From what I understand they like it warm.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lynn from our club has a red pine that she has been keeping spectacularly healthy here in NJ for years. Talk to her on Saturday if you have any questions. From what I understand they like it warm.

Sure I'd love to talk to her about it. Red pines are more cold hardy than black. For this small one, it has experienced pretty hard freezes with no issues at all although I do give it protection for most of the winter. Definitely has no problem with cold weather. I remember reading that they are hardy down to zone 4. Of course higher for bonsai.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sure I'd love to talk to her about it. Red pines are more cold hardy than black. For this small one, it has experienced pretty hard freezes with no issues at all although I do give it protection for most of the winter. Definitely has no problem with cold weather. I remember reading that they are hardy down to zone 4. Of course higher for bonsai.

That makes sense since they are a mountain species, and JBP are coastal. See you Saturday!

Top Bottom