Burn Spots?

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
my mulberry is getting some burned edges, but also what look like burns in the middle. do these look like burn marks, or something else?

thanks.

mulberry.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Just looks like old age to me. Fall IS just around the corner.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Burn spots from what, the sun?? The idea that water droplets and strong sun will cause leaf damage is an old gardening wives tale. That's more likely secondary to insect or fungal issues...and like Jim said, they'll be on the ground shortly any way.

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Burn spots from what, the sun?? The idea that water droplets and strong sun will cause leaf damage is an old gardening wives tale. That's more likely secondary to insect or fungal issues...and like Jim said, they'll be on the ground shortly any way.

so do I need to take action if it's fungal? a few branches have only a few leaves left, and i'm hoping those branches won't dry out or be lost. seems a bit early for fall behavior, but maybe not.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
so do I need to take action if it's fungal? a few branches have only a few leaves left, and i'm hoping those branches won't dry out or be lost. seems a bit early for fall behavior, but maybe not.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it...it would be an entirely different thing if your leaves looked like that in June instead of September. If you want to do something, discard or burn the leaves as they fall away from the tree...and make sure you don't over water as fewer leaves mean les transpiration which means less water is pulled from the soil which means don't water so much or else:)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I honestly wouldn't worry about it...it would be an entirely different thing if your leaves looked like that in June instead of September. If you want to do something, discard or burn the leaves as they fall away from the tree...and make sure you don't over water as fewer leaves mean les transpiration which means less water is pulled from the soil which means don't water so much or else:)

Honest as he said - I have 2 Mulberry that are showing similar signs. At this point I doubt it is fungal but more likely an insect laying eggs or perhaps a late season caterpillar or grasshopper at night... I am taking no action as they will be dormant soon :)

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've noticed my bottom 3 branches are almost leafness now, but the upper 6 long shoots seem mostly unaffected yet. should I cut back some of this top where the energy is apparently going so the bottom gets some?

or is this not like when you need to prune the top to get more vigorous growth below, like when ding a thresd graft low on a tree? mine didn't take until I cut back the top.

I just have 2 key low branches and so i'm slightly paranoid about losing them, drying up. ;)

thanks.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A lot of trees have fungal problems in PA this year. Because it will be a few weeks before the leaves would drop normally you can go to the local farm supply and explain to them you need copper fungicide and a gallon sprayer. spray the tree on a dry morning and not again for ten days unless rain rinses it off. In the Spring as the tree is just starting to push treat it heavy and every couple of weeks during the season.

If I had a nickel for every time I said that... ;)

Grimmy

Top Bottom