Burnt growth on Live Oak

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I recently purchased this Live oak and cut back the coarse growth to open it up for sunlight to reach the interior. It threw out a lot of new growth a few weeks later but this week I noticed that some of the branches died back and the foliage on them looks burnt. Right now it is only on one side and I'm thinking that it may be a chemical burn from the gardner spraying the neighbors roses but wanted to see if anyone knows of fungal diseases that could do this as well.

Thanks for any advice,

jeff

Attachments

• IMG-20110812-00025.jpg
    IMG-20110812-00025.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-20110812-00026.jpg
    IMG-20110812-00026.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-20110812-00027.jpg
    IMG-20110812-00027.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 78

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need some details on the tree to help. Where are you--Cal., Ore. West Coast? When was the tree collected and how has it been cared for since? Are there any signs of canker growth on the trunk (split areas, discolored or unnusual areas on the trunk?

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,
Is this tree newly collected? I've had a similar thing happen on live oaks when they put out a flush of leaves before they have enough roots to support them. That's why I always defoliate live oaks when I dig them. If that's not the case then I don't have a clue.
Paul

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The reason I ask all that is live oaks in Ca. and on the west coast have been under attack by "Sudden Oak Death" a fungal infection caused by Phytophthora ramorum. It kills foliage (and eventually the entire tree) in a similar manner to the damage you have photographed. That damage, however, could be a number of things, which is why it's important to know where your are and the tree's history...

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
The reason I ask all that is live oaks in Ca. and on the west coast have been under attack by "Sudden Oak Death" a fungal infection caused by Phytophthora ramorum. It kills foliage (and eventually the entire tree) in a similar manner to the damage you have photographed. That damage, however, could be a number of things, which is why it's important to know where your are and the tree's history...

The previous owner mentioned that he had the tree for the prior two years and that the owner before had it in training for several years before that. I have found wire fully embedded under tissue and completely healed over so I believe that it has been in a training pot for several years.

The neighbor's gardner comes on Monday afternoons so I plan to talk to him to see if he has sprayed the fence line recently. In the meantime I've moved it away from the rest of my trees just in case it is a fungal issue and that it does not spread to other trees.

Thanks for the responses Paul and rockm.

jeff

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Paul and rockm,

Should I give this some Bayer 3 and 1 to control any fungal disease if this is what the problem may be?

jeff

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Paul and rockm,

Should I give this some Bayer 3 and 1 to control any fungal disease if this is what the problem may be?

jeff

I don't know if it would help but it couldn't hurt.
Paul

Top Bottom