Cal Shohin convention

treekutter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who plans to attend? I will be presenting a workshop on Saturday with current grape vines.It will be a fun weekend!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will be there all three days.

Friday I will be setting the display with Inga Wolffe. This year is a departure from past years. Instead of the one big room on the end of the building, we have three rooms near the lobby. The display will be set up in these three rooms. I will be bringing a small Tokonoma I built several years ago for a little variation. I will be doing a three tiered shohin exhibit of my own trees for one of these rooms.

Sat. I have a black pine workshop with Johnny Uchida.

Sun. I will be wearing my head in a splint for the drive home!

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I will be there all three days.

Friday I will be setting the display with Inga Wolffe. This year is a departure from past years. Instead of the one big room on the end of the building, we have three rooms near the lobby. The display will be set up in these three rooms. I will be bringing a small Tokonoma I built several years ago for a little variation. I will be doing a three tiered shohin exhibit of my own trees for one of these rooms.

Sat. I have a black pine workshop with Johnny Uchida.

Sun. I will be wearing my head in a splint for the drive home!

Be sure and take some pictures for us shut-ins.

keep it green
Harry

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Space for what?

The brochure makes it sound like the event is probably already full:

"We will be able to accommodate the first 275 people for full registration on a first come first
served basis. ...There are 227 workshop openings available."

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The brochure makes it sound like the event is probably already full:

"We will be able to accommodate the first 275 people for full registration on a first come first
served basis. ...There are 227 workshop openings available."

I have yet to see a bonsai convention that is sold out.

Anyway, I will be there on Saturday.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have yet to see a bonsai convention that is sold out.

Anyway, I will be there on Saturday.

This convention always sells out. All three motels in the area, The motel the seminar is in as well as the Holiday Inn express and the Motel 6 will probably be full. The seminar can only accomodate so many for the Sat night banquet so even if you get a full registration you are possibly not going to the sat. night banquet.

William Valavanis' workshops had to be canceled so there about 30 workshops that are not going to be fullfilled. I think they tried to get some replacements but I don't know if they are committed yet.

This is one of the best seminars on any aspect of bonsai. If there is one seminar you could go to this would be the one. It is held only every other year in the same place.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This convention always sells out.

That's great news. I wish all bonsai conventions were this hot.
Bonsai in America would be a popular pastime, convention tickets would be dealt by scalpers at double price, and we could make a nice living from it. Unfortunately, most of the bonsai events are struggling to attract visitors.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's great news. I wish all bonsai conventions were this hot.
Bonsai in America would be a popular pastime, convention tickets would be dealt by scalpers at double price, and we could make a nice living from it. Unfortunately, most of the bonsai events are struggling to attract visitors.

Only outside of California:D:D:D

Riverside was one of the best in five years as far as profitablity. We will be going back for 2011.

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only outside of California:D:D:D

Riverside was one of the best in five years as far as profitablity.

Nice to hear.
Could it be because the organizers kept the costs down?... which is the smart thing to do. I suspect that it was profitable not because the revenues were much higher, but because the Convention Center gave a heck of a deal, and in addition, the headliners did not charge an arm and a leg. Controlling costs is the best thing that can be done, in order to be financially successful in this convention business.

These are just my guesses, since I have not seen any books or records.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to hear.
Could it be because the organizers kept the costs down?... which is the smart thing to do. I suspect that it was profitable not because the revenues were much higher, but because the Convention Center gave a heck of a deal, and in addition, the headliners did not charge an arm and a leg. Controlling costs is the best thing that can be done, in order to be financially successful in this convention business.

These are just my guesses, since I have not seen any books or records.

Yea...almost seems a lesson for our Government could be learned here.....Look for a good deal, trim the fat, and don't spend what you don't have = profit!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tokonoma for Shohin Seminar.

Just thought I would put some trees in it for a pic.

Attachments

• DSC_001600013.JPG
    DSC_001600013.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My favorite trees of the exhibit.

Attachments

• DSC_00410001.JPG
    DSC_00410001.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_00580002.JPG
    DSC_00580002.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_00620003.JPG
    DSC_00620003.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_00710004.JPG
    DSC_00710004.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_00760005.JPG
    DSC_00760005.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 66

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This little mountain maple was just startin to pop.

The tree exhibit was very dark so I just took individual pictures of the trees. The shots of the whole box stand were very dark and not very good at details.

Hope you enjoyed, Al

Attachments

• DSC_00820006.JPG
    DSC_00820006.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_00880007.JPG
    DSC_00880007.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 46

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice trees! Thanks for sharing them!

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Like the Namm convention,Sci-Fi events and Nascar there should be at least one Miss Tittie Bottles to bring in the mildly curious.

Top Bottom