Can a weeping elm be defoliated?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi, I bought an Ulmus alata 'Lace Parasol' Weeping Winged Elm from Mr Maple last year. The tree was the last one to leaf out this spring and was full of fresh new growth yesterday morning. When I went to water the trees in the afternoon I noticed that ALL the leaves from the elm were missing. I have seen a few caterpillars around and have been "relocating" them as soon as I find them near the trees. They are trying to make their way into the peach tree, so I look closely every day. I guess I missed this one a few days back, I found the bugger resting on the Chinese elm, right above the weeping elm. Apparently he didn't like the Chinese elm leaves or was too darn full after eating every single leaf out of the weeping elm.

Do this trees push new growth at this time? I am about to defoliate and prune my 1 year zelkovas like @Eric Schrader does in his video, but I have not seen anything on elms, and I guess as this is a sport (my guess) it may be weaker than the regular winged elm. Anyone has experience with it?

I have no idea
Can we see a picture of the tree?

I have no idea
Can we see a picture of the tree?
Its a whip, it was a 1 gal container tree.

I'm going to give it some supplements to see if that helps it recover. I also moved it on top of that small platform/table away from the rest of the trees. Weird that it is the only one so far that they are eating from.

I just found a new one eating on the top foliage... you can see it eating almost at the top of the trunk.
1716417022105.jpeg

Foliage left
1716417037198.jpeg

Some of the damage
1716417050279.jpeg

1716417061613.jpeg

1716417077602.jpeg

Ulmus alata is native here - I've got them growing all over my property. I don't have the weeping cultivar, but as far as the standard run-of-the-mill ones go they are as robust, if not more so, than Chinese elms. I've got some in my yard that I run over with the mower and they are growing horizontally - 3" above the dirt :)

There is an interesting one with very corky bark in a farm in my neighborhood. I stopped this week and spoke to the owner about the tree, and got permission to take a bunch of cuttings. I'll let you know if they take - I'm hopeful they will.

eastern-winged-elm.jpg

Its a whip, it was a 1 gal container tree.

I'm going to give it some supplements to see if that helps it recover. I also moved it on top of that small platform/table away from the rest of the trees. Weird that it is the only one so far that they are eating from.

I just found a new one eating on the top foliage... you can see it eating almost at the top of the trunk.

Yikes, they really had a party on that tree....
If they are as resilient as BNut says (even more than Chinese elm), it should bounce back fine.

@Maiden69

I have a bunch of different sizes growing and they are very vigorous and pretty bullet proof, but are definitely prone to bugs munching on the leaves, and a black spot fungus.

I don't know anything about the weeping cultivar or if it is as vigorous as the species, but I bet your little guy will be ok.

There is an interesting one with very corky bark in a farm in my neighborhood. I stopped this week and spoke to the owner about the tree, and got permission to take a bunch of cuttings.
That is how they all look around my area, super corky, but some of my big ones have real bark now. The ones I've seen here on the site from the deep south and Texas seem to not be a corky type.

My first one (Here) was an air layer, around two inches diameter, and was ready to separate fairly quickly. See if you can snag a large air layer off of your neighbor's along with some cuttings.

There is an interesting one with very corky bark in a farm in my neighborhood. I stopped this week and spoke to the owner about the tree, and got permission to take a bunch of cuttings. I'll let you know if they take - I'm hopeful they will.
That do look nice, I have seen a few around, easy to confuse with the local cedar elm when young. But never seen one with that much cork.
they are as robust, if not more so, than Chinese elms.
I hope this little thing is, I was planning on planting it on the ground in my new home once we move and take air layers out eventually.

I just got a pretty old, established winged elm from a collector from Oklahoma. It seems as vigorous as the cedar elms I've got, but too early to tell. It has some issues, primarily the soil its in seems to be mostly field soil. FWIW, I don't think the defoliation will affect yours all that much. Give it time, keep it from watering extremes and it will likely respond with new growth.

wingedelm2.jpg

That do look nice, I have seen a few around, easy to confuse with the local cedar elm when young.
Cedar elms are really only found in TX, whereas winged elm is pretty wide-spread. Additionally, the wings on cedar elm have a different appearance. They tend to be brown, thin, and are usually paired, whereas on winged elm they tend to be grey, are thicker, and can project on three or even four sides of the branch.

Cedar elms are really only found in TX, whereas winged elm is pretty wide-spread. Additionally, the wings on cedar elm have a different appearance. They tend to be brown, thin, and are usually paired, whereas on winged elm they tend to be grey, are thicker, and can project on three or even four sides of the branch.
Thanks, I knew the cedar elm wings were thinner but was not aware of the color difference. There are quite a few in the area I am moving into, a large one was in the lot I bought, but it died over the winter along with a few "pin oaks"

Thanks, I knew the cedar elm wings were thinner but was not aware of the color difference. There are quite a few in the area I am moving into, a large one was in the lot I bought, but it died over the winter along with a few "pin oaks"
There is a large variability in how they present - even in my yard. Some are very winged, some much less so. Most drop their wings as the branch ages. I have only seen a single tree where the wings are apparent on the trunk. Most of the time I see them with flaky bark - not corky bark. For example check out this winged elm - almost all wings are gone and it has very flaky bark.

winged-elm-flake.jpg

Last edited:
Cedar elm ranges far beyond Texas, well into La., Arkansas and even extreme SW Tennessee and Southern Oklahoma. There is even a vestigial/pocket of them in the Fla. panhandle, as well.

From what I've seen Winged elm is often mistaken for Cedar Elm in CE's range and I'm not so sure the two don't crossbreed. The wings CAN be grey on both as they mature, but CE wings do tend to be orangish/brownish. Mature bark on both tends to look very, very similar.

CE's leaves and winged elm leaves are extremely similar in size and shape. However, CE leaves feel like a cat's tongue or sandpaper, while winged elm leaves are smooth. Running your finger on the top of a CE leaf and the texture is pretty noticeable (except on new growth).

Found one of my yatsubusa root cuttings defoliated by them suckers... bought a bottle of Sevin to spray around today.

1716651495716.jpeg

I’ve never heard or seen a weeping winged elm I guess until now. Is it grafted?

I don’t think I have experienced a tree as resilient as a winged elm so far. And for some reason caterpillars every year are attracted to mine. Looks like the same type. They did a lot of damage one year to one I had in the ground. Over half the foliage gone. Doesn’t seem like the tree really cared. It kept growing the entire year. I just removed them by hand. Something to keep in mind though. I watch them for those bugs now. They can get out of control.

I’ve never heard or seen a weeping winged elm I guess until now. Is it grafted?
Yes, it is grafted. I plan to grow it out for a few years and then wire branches stacked up and air layer later for bonsai trees.

I just sprayed all the trees on the patio with Sevin spray. A lot of mosquitos started flying and crashing down... hopefully whatever caterpillar was left in the area will get some too. Will respray in a week or so just in case.

Back
Top Bottom