Can anyone tell me what kind of maple this is?

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the source page (http://taishoen.org/shopping-shoz.htm) there's a japanese heading that says "宮様楓" ... I did some digging in Chinese and they say that it's a term that is used for trident maples in Japan, though google translate gives me nothing for a proper translation, so I suppose it's not the official name. The Chinese written explanations say that they're tridents that had been exported to Japan from China... who knows...

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't think it's as simple as just being a trident. Those leaves certainly aren't from a typical acer buergerianum. The lobes on this tree are super fat. After looking over some of the stuff in Vertrees' book, the closest match I can find is the acer buergerianum "Koshi miyasama."

6771.jpg

But even still, it looks far different. The colors definitely don't match and these leaves look quite glossy.

Anyone else want to try? :D

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm trying again - didn't realize you wanted the exact variety .. this page and this page would indicate that it's Acer buergerianum var. formosanum - that is, as long as the heading on the tree in the link you posted is accurate.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
also, if you copy and paste the characters 宮様楓 into a flickr search, you should get nothing but that variety/sub-species of trident maple.

Top Bottom