Can I water my trees with pond wate

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would suggest getting a chemical analysis before committing to using it on a bonsai collection. You need to know how much of each nutrient is in there and then amend the water to provide for what might be missing. You also may find a little too much of some things and have to dilute it to compensate. However it may turn out to be the perfect solution—you just don’t know wihout a test. Check with your county ag agent office.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just bought house pond was there

Careful, that is what happened to me...Restarted the pond I found in our new home, found it was in a bad location (under neighbors Locust tree) so moved it, then found it was too small to have a couple of nice Koi, then found I needed a bigger pump, contractor managed to scare the fish into jumping out of the pond while I was not home, so new fish, then a better filter, then i realized that it wold look much better if it was bigger....and on, and on. Its like the opposite of a boat. Rather than "a hole in the water that you pour money into" it is a container of water you pour money into. (but I would not give it up for the world)

Morax

Yamadori
Reaction score
Careful, that is what happened to me...Restarted the pond I found in our new home.
I knew the family that had this one, parents passed away his didn't want nothing to do with house, so i kept in "family". Yeah.. location is not problems here, it's size.. double pond top is a living filter/bog that waterfalls into bottom... but. Been thinking of redoing to one big pond, changing filter set up. E.t.c etc. Then i thought, i could RIP bar out downstairs and build a inside pond/ bonsai area....:p

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I pull water from a river behind the house. Slow moving.

Check your PH levels is my only advice. My trees suffered from the very high PH of the river.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pond in my avatar is fed by rainwater from my house roof. I don't have or want fish in it but use it to water often.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
HUGE thumbs up! Surface water is second only to rain when it comes to watering your plants.
Unless it is setting in a chemically contaminated sink, or the PH is out-o-whack. I would have it tested, the cost could be worth the investment.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Careful, that is what happened to me...Restarted the pond I found in our new home, found it was in a bad location (under neighbors Locust tree) so moved it, then found it was too small to have a couple of nice Koi, then found I needed a bigger pump, contractor managed to scare the fish into jumping out of the pond while I was not home, so new fish, then a better filter, then i realized that it wold look much better if it was bigger....and on, and on. Its like the opposite of a boat. Rather than "a hole in the water that you pour money into" it is a container of water you pour money into. (but I would not give it up for the world)

It is usually much cheaper to just put in a concrete one. Dig a 6' deep hole, pour a slab with drains, build concrete block walls, then finish it with plaster. Seal with epoxy sealer, paint with epoxy paint, and voila! I built a 6000 gallon one by hand. Took me an entire summer, but 22 years later it is still going strong. Maintenance costs are low - had to replace a pump once, and that's it.

Like so much with construction - do it right at the beginning and it lasts forever. Round corners at the beginning, and you find yourself paying for it over the long haul.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is usually much cheaper to just put in a concrete one. Dig a 6' deep hole, pour a slab with drains, build concrete block walls, then finish it with plaster. Seal with epoxy sealer, paint with epoxy paint, and voila! I built a 6000 gallon one by hand. Took me an entire summer, but 22 years later it is still going strong. Maintenance costs are low - had to replace a pump once, and that's it.

Like so much with construction - do it right at the beginning and it lasts forever. Round corners at the beginning, and you find yourself paying for it over the long haul.

I agree 100% with that, as an engineer I apply and/or encourage (sometimes successfully) that logic almost daily.

However, to each his own when it comes to recreation/hobby (which for me this is).
I am someone who likes to tinker and enjoys the discovery process (even if I am often reinventing the wheel) and to be able to be proud of a successful result (and all too often own the failure but happy in the learning that occurred). Could I have built a better pond, probably faster, and cheaper? Yes, there is little doubt (please don't tell my wife). But what fun is that for someone like me? You should see the greenhouse controller that I designed and built myself out of a single board computer (raspberry pi), micro processor (Arduino), relays, irrigation valve (pump in the winter) and space heater (it even has its own web site!). Could I have purchased something that would do the job (probably better and/or cheaper)? Would I probably not have lost those plants that died due to failures while I worked out problems with the system? Yes to both. Do I regret doing what I did? Not a chance (well I kind of regret killing a couple of nice trees). I have a system that while it is probably not suitable for anyone else in the world, is 100% my own creation and I am proud of it (and get to tinker with it constantly).

It is also why I have about six Eastern White Pines (ordered by accident). Are they hard if not impossible to make into bonsai? Yes. Are they way above my knowledge/skill set to make into bonsai? With out a doubt. Will they ever be "bonsai"? I can say with 99.9% certainly, NO. Do I have fun experimenting with them and take eminence pride in the few wins I achieve, not to mention what I learn? A great big YES.

Yikes, that started out as a simple one line reply but took on a life of its own quickly. I probably should not have had that second espresso this morning. If you got this far you are probably realizing you should have stopped after reading the first line and skipped my entire rant. Sorry. ;-D

Top Bottom