Can this branch heal?

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wiring my juniper and I accidentally injured one of the branches. You think it'll be ok?

photo 4.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just remember to not move it much now or in the near future. If you need to do more bends, make sure you are not stressing this break area much.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd seal it just in case. I broke the main trunk on a juniper last year and sealed it, left it alone for a year, and when I removed the sealant it had healed over; the tree never skipped a beat. After all, breaking branches so they are more malleable is a technique some people use on purpose; for both conifers and deciduous material.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Just remember: Trees don't "heal." They "mend." That break will always be there. The tree may put layers of cambium and bark over the break, but that's all there will be -- just a thin layer of new wood. This will always be a weak spot in the tree.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd put super glue into the crack, and if you want, over the entire area. The glue will help hold the break together, and if it works on the live tissue like it does my cracked fingertips during cold months, it will seal the cambium too. I have glued breaks in limbs with good success.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'd put super glue into the crack, and if you want, over the entire area. The glue will help hold the break together, and if it works on the live tissue like it does my cracked fingertips during cold months, it will seal the cambium too. I have glued breaks in limbs with good success.

This is the most likely method for success. Procumbens Juniper are very prone to this kind of break; a joint between branches etc. They break easily in these spots and almost never heal well unless the break is carefully rejoined and anchored together somehow so that the break does not move. If this is not done,and especially after seeing the nature of the break, there is almost no chance this will turn out well. You are probably going to lose one or both sides of the break.

However; learn a lesson here with this species of Juniper. They seem very flexible but when it comes to the areas where branches make joints, crotches, or places where they come together they break very easily. Make sure you support these joints when wiring, if you don't, you now know what will happen.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As Vance pointed out this is a common break in a joint of a nana and many junis for that matter. You really need to join the break back together for it to heal or you may lose a branch from that point. The super glue method works well with just a drip and then join the break and wrap it with something like twine or even electricians tape sticky side away from the bark so its covered. The use of raffia before bending may have prevented this damage. There are tons of posts here showing how to wrap branches with wet raffia then wire and bend safely.

ed

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
thank you everybody....I decided to use the super glue method. works amazing!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
make sure you wrap it as well. Air in the wound is not your friend.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I had an identical break on a nana last year. I used super glue and wire to keep it place and made sure to let it be for the summer. It healed and the branch flourished. Almost a year later and I have no die back. This will work just fine, but as previously stated, remember where the break is, it will always be a weak point.

Top Bottom