Can you help me with this juniper?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So last year I begun my bonsai journey and being newbie I bought (almost blindly) in a nursery what I thought was good material to begin with.
Now I know how important the 5 first inches of a tree are. And decided to buy only what could have a good potential....

I've spent 30€ (about 35$) buying this juniperus horizontalis.

IMG_20211130_145124.jpg IMG_20211130_145351.jpg

IMG_20211130_155351.jpg IMG_20211130_155341.jpg

It's big and healthy (growing right now) but I'm not sure if I can get more than a good tree . I've worked with this species (though significatively shorter than this) two times the last season. I could repot and style them succesfuly, and also root some of the wooded remains of the prunning. But in this case, the remains will be very thick and huge, and some of them, if rooted, could be also wonderful trees. So, what method should be the best to get those thick remains rooted?

These are going to be my bets for the next season:

IMG_20211130_145538.jpg

Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Depending how big we’re talking, I think you are going to be better off with air layering, rather than trying to take large juniper cuttings.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Rooting cuttings of juniper drops significantly as the size and age of the wood increases. Anything larger than finger thick I'd be layering but layering will delay pruning and styling by a season. Make sure the pieces are good enough to justify that delay.

Top Bottom