Can you post some leaf burn photos?

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am having some issues this year with leaves on several trees. I never had this issue before. The tips of the leaves seem to be brown and crunchy. It started with my hornbeam and now some maples. I moved them to shade. I was hoping someone could post some sun burn leaves or fertilizer burn leaves.

I would like to compare to my leaves.

Thanks

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I personally have found that Coreana Hornbeams get some brown edge curl to the leaves when the roots may have taken a hit in one form or another.The harder the hit the more brown leaves.They seem to overcome it if it was not too bad.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you have mainly new growth tips shriveling,maybe the top is growing more than the roots are.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
One hornbeam is really bad. The leaves are all turning brownish green and many are getting the brown ends. I see some bud swell so I think it will be ok. It might be burn from fertilizer. I used some 10-10-10 and I think I didn't get it spread out right. I moved all the maples, hornbeam's and elms out of the hot sun. Resently it had been pretty intense sun. I think a combo of sun and feet did these in. I hope they mack it.

Prior to this years bud break I depot all the trees in larger pots. I really don't think the roots were the issue.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe you can post some photos of your trees?

Here are some "burned" leaves on a winterhazel, from last summer. When I acquired the tree the leaves looked great. Within a couple of weeks, many developed brown/dried edges and tips. I'm still not sure what I did to it, but it has developed similar symptoms this year. It's a weaker plant, a cheap reclamation project with a damaged root system (that happened before I got it). It very well may end up in the ground next spring.

Chris

winterhazel02.jpg winterhazel03.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
image.jpg

Here is a but of fertilizer burn on the older leaves. It was kind of funny, but I brought this guy to the nova bonsai meeting to discuss the impending graft, and during the meeting it started shedding leaves. The leaves had a weird translucent thing going on that was probably ruptured cell walls. Let it be a lesson not to mix beer and fertilizer. Well maybe you could mix some beer in since I hear has some nitrogen content, but certainly don't drink a bunch of whiskey and then drink a bunch of fertilizer. I think you know what I am getting at. I had big plans for work to do on this tree this growing season and now am a but unsure of how to proceed. It has bounced back from it's unintentional defoliation quickly, but I don't feel confident performing the graft on it quite yet. I was thinking about putting it in a flat for a month or two to gather strength so that I could still get it done this season.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Last year I lost some maples to a blight. It started out with brown and black leaf edges and I thought it might be "burn" of some sort at first. When it got worse T took a couple to my county extension agent and he told me it was a blight and it had progressed enough that there was really no help for it. He was right. It might not hurt to get your trees checked.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ill get some photos and post them up. Is there anything to stop blight?

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The top photo is the hornbeam.
The second and third are the elms
1020571879_photobucket_160746__zpsabbb2931.jpg

1020571879_photobucket_160748__zps617ff352.jpg

1020571879_photobucket_160747__zpsefcfc075.jpg

I can say the elms look like sun burn. The hornbeam I have no idea what it is . One day it was green then the leaves had the elm leaf crunchy then all the leaves are like this and the color is terrible. I am not sure if this one is a goner or not. There are little buds forming but I don't know what it is.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The elm looks similar to my winterhazel, but milder. The hornbeam...looks scary. When was it last repotted? Is it in a nursery container with nursery soil, or a bonsai pot with bonsai soil? I'd seriously consider pulling it out of the pot and checking the condition of the roots. Any evidence of mites or other insects?

Chris

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is it tap water with chlorine in it.If so it is recommended to have a couple open containers to always have some airing out for a few days.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have had this for two years. It is in a 10 inch bulb pot with bonsai soil. I look it out of the pot and looked at the roots. They looked ok. No major issues. This spring it was green and healthy. About 2 or 3 weeks ago I gave them all 10-10-10 feet. Then the heat came in. The leaves first looked like leaf burn then it got worse.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you are not mixing the fert with water and just watering the trees, that could well be the prob. I have an American Elm that I believe is what you have. I keep it in morning sun only and it is suffering no leaf burn issues. I water with Dyna Gro at 1/2 tsp per gallon and pretty much use it every watering. If I recall correctly it is 7-9-5, so after dilution is fairly weak. Trees seem to like it at the recommended strength as described above. If I were you, I would stop fertilizing for a good 2 weeks and only use rain water or tap water after it has sat for 48 hrs to dechlorinate. After 2 weeks begin a very dilute feeding regimen while watering with dechlorinated or rain water.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I will
I already stopped for about 3 weeks.
I use only rain water or pond water.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well I am totally confused. Another hornbeam is going through the same things. It first had some crunchy leaf ends. Now the leafs are turning a brownish green. This just like the one I posted.

If this was feet burn could this cause these issues? I see no bugs and no sign off mildew. I did no root work on the second tree and slip potted earlier this season.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I now have three trees in bad shape. I really think this is fertilizer burn. Is there something I can do to help this.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well,right off the bat,I would think it is not fert burn.Could possibly be a product of overwinter damage to roots ,maybe a particular condition in winter caused a week tree,maybe too wet in winter?Could be a product of roots and soil,the particular soil you are using,It could also be a critter of some sort in the soil.Or it could be something that was spread by your tools,I always pass my tools through a flame before I use them.Was there any drastic cuts to the root?.Were these plants in the field and then put in a pot.What kind of soil are you using?When were they last root pruned?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are some scorched leaves on a Japanese Maple

scorched leaves.jpg

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry all for not responding. I have been ocupied for the last week. I had to put my dog to sleep and two trees I thinkg are dead.

I did no cutting on any of the trees. This spring I repotted all the trees in a Turface / Pine bark mix. Water is as needed or by rain. Im sure the soil could be better but the mix is 2 parts turface to one part bark.

The last photo posted helped me with some other trees which I confirmed are sun burn with this photo.

The first hornbeam in question that I posted lost all leaves and now has new growth coming out. The elm which was not posted I think is dead. There is no green under the bark and no new signs of bud break. The small hornbeam that I posted last I think is pushing new buds. There is alot of die back in the branches.

Could this be some bug that I do not see? Maybe some sort of root issues? Should I pull the one small hornbeam out of pot and look at the roots?

Top Bottom