Canadian Hemlock aka Eastern Hemlock, Tsuga canadensis as Bonsai

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This is the first tree I ever collected, over eight years ago now. The development of this tree has been one step forward, two steps back. There is limited information out there on T. canadensis and I’ve only seen two that could be called bonsai (this tree isn’t one of them). This is probably for two reasons: 1) it is hard to find worthy material, and 2) they are a quirky species to work with.

Eastern Hemlock are unique for a number of reasons:

They very, very much prefer a rich and moist organic growing medium. I almost killed mine by transplanting it into a coarse, inorganic medium. Replacing it with topsoil restored the health of the tree.
They can tolerate practically any light condition from full shade to full sun. For bonsai development, several hours of direct morning sun is good for promoting backbudding and branch development. Full direct sun tends to cause the foliage to lose it’s rich green colour.
Despite their delicate and almost “weak” appearance, they heal over wounds better than any conifer I can think of and better than many deciduous trees. This makes grafting easy on T. canadensis.
The branches are very flexible however they are extremely weak at the crotches. They will suddenly and heart-breakingly tear from the trunk with little notice during heavy (or even moderate) bending operations. However, their capacity to rapidly callus over wounds means that a branch will more often than not survive, even if you have torn half of the base away from the trunk.
I have learned and re-learned these points “the hard way” on this poor specimen over the years. The resulting setbacks have probably doubled the time it should have taken me to get to the current stage of development. Now this tree has immense sentimental value to me despite being one of the last trees that draws the attention of any visitors to my yard.

I believe Eastern Hemlock is by far the most delicate and feminine species native to eastern North America, and perhaps even all of North America. This makes it priceless in our catalogue of native species and worthy of greater attention. I just wish material was easier to come across!

My T. canadensis today after finally getting the main structure set into place after eight long years. Still a long way to go but I think the hard work is done.
S09DPqc.jpg

Last summer I was trying to fully style the tree and had to stop at this point after I tore a major limb that supported two major branches – the first branch on the left, and the back branch.

DgR01tA.jpg

The tear in the limb during last summer’s work. Remarkably, the more important branch (second primary branch) survived despite losing much of the secondary growth. The back branch completely died
eu3G4EM.jpg

Found growing near a trail in April 2007.

sNAjJsV.jpg

Collected and potted up showing the current front.

JK8lq9Y.jpg

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice work and a nice save! A few years well spent :D

Grimmy

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
One of my favorite native species in the eastern part of North America. They actually grow as far south as North GA in the mountains, which surprised me and made me a bit happier when I moved here from the North East. Glad to see you're having good success with T. Canadensis as I agree it's got lots of potential.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for posting! I am excited about my first tree collected from the wild, which is also Eastern Hemlock and posted here: http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?15477-Tsuga-canadensis-collected
I have previously read of your experiences with using a soil rich in organics during my general searches for Tsuga care.
I agree with your characterization of the foliage and growth habit, so much so that I plan on letting my specimen go for the most part without wire. I am debating wether I should repot this spring into a more appropriately shaped training pot, or if I should wait until a full 3 years after collection before repotting. It has grown vigorously this year and I have preformed some light pruning and branch selection.

Thanks again,
David

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is probably for two reasons: 1) it is hard to find worthy material, and 2) they are a quirky species to work with.

Eastern Hemlock are unique for a number of reasons:

They very, very much prefer a rich and moist organic growing medium. I almost killed mine by transplanting it into a coarse, inorganic medium. Replacing it with topsoil restored the health of the tree.
They can tolerate practically any light condition from full shade to full sun. For bonsai development, several hours of direct morning sun is good for promoting backbudding and branch development. Full direct sun tends to cause the foliage to lose it’s rich green colour.
Despite their delicate and almost “weak” appearance, they heal over wounds better than any conifer I can think of and better than many deciduous trees. This makes grafting easy on T. canadensis.
The branches are very flexible however they are extremely weak at the crotches. They will suddenly and heart-breakingly tear from the trunk with little notice during heavy (or even moderate) bending operations. However, their capacity to rapidly callus over wounds means that a branch will more often than not survive, even if you have torn half of the base away from the trunk.
I have learned and re-learned these points “the hard way” on this poor specimen over the years. The resulting setbacks have probably doubled the time it should have taken me to get to the current stage of development. Now this tree has immense sentimental value to me despite being one of the last trees that draws the attention of any visitors to my yard.

I believe Eastern Hemlock is by far the most delicate and feminine species native to eastern North America, and perhaps even all of North America. This makes it priceless in our catalogue of native species and worthy of greater attention. I just wish material was easier to come across!

I wish you could take them across the border from here. They are as common as dirt around here, but mostly informal uprights. We use it a lot for siding on barns. We call it Pennsylvania cedar.
I love your more natural style. I don't get to see many of that style in the wild.

Not sure about your soil thing. I've had mine in mostly inorganic bonsai soil for 20 years and it's just fine. It's been kept in full sun for its potted life and was in deep shade until it was collected. The place where it was collected was a swamp of sorts. They grew on small raised mounds surrounded by muck where they could keep their feet dry. Simple to dig and get most of the roots.

You're dead on with their healing power. I carved a big shari down the front of it when I first styled it. It's totally healed over and looks like a burl growing on it.
They are my favorite tree especially mixed in with Amer. Beech.
Keep up the good work!!...its really coming along.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I plan on letting my specimen go for the most part without wire.
Hi David,

Like all conifers, I think you will have a hard time creating a bonsai from your hemlock without wire. They have an attractive weeping habit when growing in shade, but when it gains strength the branches will reach up, up, up. Furthermore, their natural weeping habit is a bit disorderly looking.

Take care, it looks like you have the makings of a nice little bonsai there.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I wish you could take them across the border from here. They are as common as dirt around here, but mostly informal uprights.

You are very fortunate to have access to good hemlock material. They grow everywhere here but they are all boring as heck. All very young. The only reason this one has moderate movement, age, and taper is because it was near a trail where it would get trampled on. Your upright hemlock is the best hemlock bonsai I've seen. Do you have any more from these collecting sites? I'd like to see pics!

Not sure about your soil thing. I've had mine in mostly inorganic bonsai soil for 20 years and it's just fine.

Very interesting to hear. What exactly is your soil mix? I put it in 50/50 lava haydite which I found to be extremely problematic.

Cheers

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I absolutely love these trees and just can not keep them here. There are western hemlock that grow in the mountains where it is cooler and moister. I may have to try some at our new 4000' site and see if they will do up there.

Here in the valley, no. They seem to detest drought and low humidity and our hot dry summer wipes them out. Even in mostly organic mix I couldn't water them enough through the summer. They do great during the fall/winter/spring! Then get their butts kicked in summer. I gave up on them for an interim while I restock my arsenal of dirty tricks. Pun intended LOL

It's been a few years now since I've had a go at one, but I do have a couple of dwarf varieties in the garden and they are doing ok, but not great. I've got a few new cards in my deck now so maybe it's time to try again, I absolutely love them!

Love your trees, thanks for sharing, Rick

Last edited:

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You are very fortunate to have access to good hemlock material. They grow everywhere here but they are all boring as heck. All very young. The only reason this one has moderate movement, age, and taper is because it was near a trail where it would get trampled on. Your upright hemlock is the best hemlock bonsai I've seen. Do you have any more from these collecting sites? I'd like to see pics!

Very interesting to hear. What exactly is your soil mix? I put it in 50/50 lava haydite which I found to be extremely problematic.

Cheers

Sorry, that's the only one I took. The rest were very similar...straight that is. I chose the one we the best nebari. I don't see many that are twisty and the ones that are, are too tall. I'd like to try a forest.....tall and narrow....just the way they really grow. Material would be easy!

The soil was straight Hollow Creek bag mix which seem to be mostly haydite with a little bark. Now its Hollow Creek w/akadama, pumice, and biochar. This is the 2nd season with akadama.....wow...it really likes! Don't know if you visited my thread but here's a pic just before I trimmed it a few days ago.

Has your tree been in that shallow pot long? Might be something to think about.

Attachments

• IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 132

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just thinking....one other great thing about hemlock, is branches just don't decide to die back. I haven't lost a branch the entire time I've had. Can't say that about Junis.:p

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Amkhalid, I'd like to bump this thread. How is this tree doing? I have one from a nursery that I purchased last year, and I'd like to know how to treat the roots. How much can the roots be cut back? Can the root ball be sawed?

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just thinking....one other great thing about hemlock, is branches just don't decide to die back. I haven't lost a branch the entire time I've had. Can't say that about Junis.:p
Holy sh*#! That is one hell of a eastern hemlock bonsai.
I'm going to try to find a nice specimen this spring. They grow Everywhere here in Massachusetts.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From my limited experience, they can take a severe root chop as long as you give them a couple years to recover. Inspect the root ball before deciding where to saw though. Mine responded really well to spaghnum.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
From my limited experience, they can take a severe root chop as long as you give them a couple years to recover. Inspect the root ball before deciding where to saw though. Mine responded really well to spaghnum.
What did you look for in the root ball?
How did you use the sphag?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine was collected, so I had some different issues to deal with than a nursery stock, you'll probably have to cut the pot in order to get it out if it has been there a while. Carefully remove the surface soil to see how far down the roots emanate from the trunk. Then start to detangle the spiraling roots from the bottom to see what you have to work with. If it is really too dense to work with, I like to cut a big plus sign into the bottom of the root ball and just spread out the four resulting sections from there. This eliminates the spiraling roots in one go. Although you may have more issues to deal with on subsequent repottings down the road. Most nursery material can still use a lot of growth and development, so I would then plant in an anderson for recovery and growth.
I broke a lot of rules with my soil the first time around since I had a huge terracotta pot to fill. I used a mix of turface, lava and recycled bonsai soil and some pumice, akadama, sphagnum etc. The next time I repotted I used thirds of pumice akadama and calidama, with healthy portions (10%) of spaghnum and vermi-compost.

Here is an updated link to my thread if you want more care details for mine: http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/tsuga-canadensis-collected.15477/

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you have an update on this Tsuga? The structure on mine is finally falling into place and I am starting to think about ramification and pruning methods rather than just branch selection.

Top Bottom