Carving Bit Recommendation: Dremel Tool

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Their bits seem good for the first 5 minutes, then they're dull and don't work well.
This is a speed*material*heat effect. Dulling happens heb you put too much pressure or to much speed on the bit leading to heating up and litterally burning the edge off.

Most brand bits are made for working with dry wood, and clog up on the fresher wood we have. They are great for detailing once you have the rough shaping done, and let it sit to age for a bit. But for the initial work they are mostly to fine-toothed.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a speed*material*heat effect. Dulling happens heb you put too much pressure or to much speed on the bit leading to heating up and litterally burning the edge off.

Most brand bits are made for working with dry wood, and clog up on the fresher wood we have. They are great for detailing once you have the rough shaping done, and let it sit to age for a bit. But for the initial work they are mostly to fine-toothed.
These are all very good points and well received. I have had only a bit of experience with carving wood with high speed carving tools but many years experience using carving and polishing tools in lapidary work and in silversmithing. Some of the same rules apply, as in using little pressure and letting the tool do the job, and doing anything you can to keep the carving bit from over heating. Admittedly, diamond bits in stone is a lot different than carbide in wood.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still am trying to find some of the samurai bits in 3mm (1/8”) but they seem to be sold out everywhere. Those seem to be the best.
Did you try Superfly? I know they have several in stock but I didn't check shaft diameters available.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have no experience with the specific tools being discussed. However I have borrowed a few rotary tools, and have done some carving.

Benefit: "wow, you can remove a lot of wood really fast".
Drawback: "wow, you can remove a lot of wood really fast".

It is really important to take your time, control how much you cut away, and perhaps best, to do your final carving with hand tools.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, indeed.
Over the years I’ve used a number of rotary tools and bits. In my experience I’ve found out a couple things.

What bit is the best: It depends on the job

Which rotary tool is the best: It depends on the job.

What type of metal, carbide or regular should one use: It depends on the user, the speed and the job

What causes my bits to be clogged up? It depends on the wood, it’s wetness, the user, if you clean your bit as needed and the speed. However burning on a bit is usually the users issue. Some jobs take a lot of time and some types of material clog the bits faster than other.

Sometimes I end up soaking a couple clogged bits at a time in solvent while using another clean one, brushing, drying and rotating in another bit as needed.

This job required me to carefully grind off bark off an Eastern White Cedar. I found myself constantly cleaning bits and cleaning and regreasing my flex extention shaft.... 40 hours plus to completion.
213DEFE2-2AFF-4278-8073-B5EB76DB1EFC.jpeg

So it all depends! My advice is only get the bits you need. Keep them clean, then clean and oil each before storing.

Learning which is the right bit or tool will require a bit of trial and error. Same with choosing the proper speed. (Be sure whatever rotary tool you get is variable speed.) Wear safety equipment and have fun!

cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bonsai nibblers come in different configurations with shafts sized for either a Dremel or a die grinder. They also have different lengths and extensions. You can get them with either rounded or triangular shaped cutting heads. I use one on my big bald cypress and it chewed through it like a hot knife through butter. You can also get replacement cutting heads if needed.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/my-big-bald-cypress-“old-zach”.60823/

Top Bottom