Best carving bit

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I've got a new tool, and am looking for a new bit, since treeline looks like they've discontinued their triangle burrs. I ran across this one that House of Bonsai has up, has anyone worked with this one? Looks promising. What is your favorite bit for a die grinder with a flexi shaft attachment? I don't know what Dale Cochoy sells his bits for these days, I can't find a site to purchase one. I know the terrier is decent, but this one looks pretty good...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tungsten-Ca...553457?hash=item27d522d1b1:g:5ngAAOSwstxVfkIc

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That has a 1/4 inch shaft and will not fit the 1/8 inch dremel/flexible shaft type tools. Would work on a die grinder though. If I'm gonna get out the die grinder I want a good 3/8" or 1/2" core box router bit. I can mow thru wood and turn corners and change direction, which that rotary bit won't do.

edit: I see you say you have a flex shaft for a die grinder. Be careful, thats a lot of tool for a flex shaft. I have seen the shaft blow right out of the sheath on one that became stuck.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Never heard of that, flex shaft for a die grinder. That's scary! We're talking 20,000 rpm here. Maybe more on the newer ones. I got a reostat for mine but I see the newer ones are variable speed.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd stay away from that one Judy- made from cheap Chinese metal. Get ahold of Dale through Facebook.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have had good luck with the Freud 1/4" round nose router bits. I picked up a carbide one on ebay for $10. It is small enough that it wont get away from you as easy when you are first starting to carve. It does take some time if you need to remove a lot of material but that is not a big deal.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They got technology in live beetles that can control their flight.

Maybe one day we can just use robot termites!

Nice!

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
+1 on Dale Cochoy. Tell him you need an 1/8" shank. He has a tri-cut rotary bit that will do everything you need. Been using mine for years. I'll see if I can find the cut sheet.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That has a 1/4 inch shaft and will not fit the 1/8 inch dremel/flexible shaft type tools. Would work on a die grinder though. If I'm gonna get out the die grinder I want a good 3/8" or 1/2" core box router bit. I can mow thru wood and turn corners and change direction, which that rotary bit won't do.

edit: I see you say you have a flex shaft for a die grinder. Be careful, thats a lot of tool for a flex shaft. I have seen the shaft blow right out of the sheath on one that became stuck.
Thanks Al, I will start slow, the tool has a foot pedal for speed control. I'll probably get a router bit as well, treeline still carries those.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
+1 on Dale Cochoy. Tell him you need an 1/8" shank. He has a tri-cut rotary bit that will do everything you need. Been using mine for years. I'll see if I can find the cut sheet.
Thanks for this Brian, I never know what size to look for, I'll contact him.
And thanks again for sending me a link to the tool, good price!

Top Bottom