Catlin Elm....Anything Different

Rojo4321

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I recently purchased a Catlin Elm and have been trying to do my reading on the tree. I am not finding too much info on this specific type of tree. Should I treat it as a Chinese Elm or does this treee have differences that I should be aware of? Also, while on the subject of Catlin Elms, the person I bought the tree from said that Catlin Elms have less foliage on them than traditional Chinese elms, is this true? the tree I bought has fewer leaves than i would have liked to see. Ill post pics soon. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
Ulmus parvifolia 'Catlin' is a dwarf from of the species with fewer and smaller leaves. It tends to be shorter and shrubbier. It also has a more pronounced tendency to stay evergreen. It takes a really hard freeze of around 20F to make it lose its leaves and usually will not get fall color. It also does not seem to as cold hardy as the species and may suffer small branch dieback around 15F. Getting a trunk on a 'Catlin' is exasperating, and they generally should be used for very small bonsai unless you plant it in the ground and are prepared to wait many years for any decent caliper. The lack of corky bark adds to this 'skinny' look. The mature bark is the orange peeling bark of the species.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

Rojo4321

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Here are the pics

As promised, attached are the pictures of my newly acquried Catlin Elm. I bought it at the St. Louis Botancial Gardens Japanese Festival this past weekend. Although I do not like the roots necessarily, I thought it was a decent deal. The foliage is a little sparse but the seller said that is normal for Catlin Elms. Please let me know your thoughts. How would i go about correcting the root problem? Would i have to use a tourniquet? Air layer? I would really like to get rid of those ugly large roots and even them out. Anyways thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• elm1.jpg
    elm1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 125
  • elm2.jpg
    elm2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 124
Top Bottom