Celtis sinensis - chinese hackberry questions

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have several Celtis Sinensis growing in the ground. Outdoors all the time with no special protection. The trees lose fine twigs each year after a harsh cold winter...but quickly regrow and replace the twigs. I have winters with sustained Fahrenheit zero degrees to minus five with wind chills around the -10 to -20 usually. That’s cold. Some years are mild winter...others bone chilling. I believe “in the ground” planting makes the difference. None of the trees are in boxes or pots yet though...still growing trunks. I never water in winter months. Nature does its thing quite well. My outdoor soil in very sandy....that sand seems to maintain just enough moisture and coldness for December through April....and a consistent blanket of snow is a good insulator.

Had a Spring Frost last year after initial leaves opened...leaves were about 1/2” to 3/4”. All the leaves died. Dried up in one half of a day. All new leaves appeared about 3 weeks later. The trees continued good growth after that. Had me worried though while waiting.

When I finally do get trunk chopping and boxing...I think I will unbox and bury the trees in the ground for winter months. And at that chopped size...generally 18” to 24”... I can set up a windblock screen for wind chill shelter outdoors.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I thought photos showing the outdoor growing could be useful. Trees closest in the photos are in the best full sun all day and the first to get windchill blasted. Trees in the front are 5.5” above the soil. Trees further back are 3”-3.5” due to less sun I believe. The circles around the tree bases are just cut off barrel rings about 2” high. They keep the soil in place during the rains and watering so roots stay protected with some soil cover.

Dull photo contrast....I don’t see much sun until late April. Photo view....the right is South...I’m facing East...North to the left...and well, West is in back of me.
02310533-BFD7-4411-9472-CDD280082D6C.jpeg346733F8-8E9F-4B30-AE09-896ADB9CA2AC.jpeg9AEE8B32-F1C7-4254-996B-72FFF6C19FEF.jpeg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Celtis Sinensis is far less cold hardy than other Celtis species. That said mine sit outside all winter every winter and do just fine. So That means they can go 25F with no problem at all. :)

Top Bottom