Celtis Sinensis - Chinese Hackberry - Thoughts and Suggestions

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Update on this Celtis.

Over the last year it has pretty much been left to grow with me only cutting back a few branches and keeping it neat and tidy.

During winter (June), I cut all the longest branches back a few nodes so that over this growing season
19424502_780597425454693_6507030539278467567_n.jpg

It is now Spring and the tree is filling out nicely. I will leave it till all the buds have opened before I look at which branches need to be trimmed etc
IMG_3671.JPG

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow, that's cool!
Thanks.

The pot is not right but I am not worried about that for now. All I want to do is develop it nicely over the next few seasons. Some carving needs to be done so that you can see the inside of the trunk so that is on the agenda this season.

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So today I decided to clean up the tree and do some wiring on it and work on the style.

Before
IMG_3719.JPG

I could not believe how many new buds were breaking along the branches so this tree has no problem with back budding.

I removed all the buds that were not needed and then removed 100's of small branches that were growing in the wrong spot and the wrong direction. The branches on this tree are so fine that I struggled to get my big hands in to wire them properly I had to try something else. I decided that I am going to anchor wires through the bottom of the pot and use those to pull the branches down into the position that I needed them.
IMG_3721.JPG

I also thought it was time to open up the wound in the middle slightly so that it will allow you to see a better view of into the trunk. The front trunk was slightly too high, so I carved it down slightly.

Before
IMG_3725.JPG

After
IMG_3729.JPG

After a few hours of work, I was happy with what I had achieved. Now to let it grow out again. Some of the lower branches need to lengthen out but at the rate this is growing I do not see it taking too long.

IMG_3743.JPG

1234.jpg

Last edited:

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I cannot believe how quickly this celtis is growing. Its growing like a weed at the moment.

IMG_4227.JPG

Right now there are buds developing everywhere so it takes an age to remove all of those first. After that it is cutting back the new growth. It is filling out nicely though.

IMG_4229.JPG

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would like to see the left trunk take a dogleg to the left a little if you can do a cutback to a branch that does that. It will allow more room between that and your main (middle trunk) and give some height differentiation as well. It will set you back a little but as you can see they grow quickly. Nice progress.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well composed tree design. I like seeing how you utilized the natural beauty of the tree's growing path. The tree is growing along really well...and seems to just take all your work in stride. Mighty fine!

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would like to see the left trunk take a dogleg to the left a little if you can do a cutback to a branch that does that. It will allow more room between that and your main (middle trunk) and give some height differentiation as well. It will set you back a little but as you can see they grow quickly. Nice progress.
Very interesting view. Thanks Judy.

I will have a closer look at the tree and see if that is possible

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well composed tree design. I like seeing how you utilized the natural beauty of the tree's growing path. The tree is growing along really well...and seems to just take all your work in stride. Mighty fine!
Thanks Tieball. Appreciate the feedback.

I am going to look for a new pot this month. It is so healthy that getting it into a better pot should not be a problem.

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I decided to repot this Celtis into a new pot as the buds are breaking.

Before putting it into a new pot I cut back the root at the back of the tree. It was too large so I decided to remove it now.
IMG_4143.JPG

There are plenty of roots around the tree so I was not worried about removing it

I chose a rectangular pot that was smaller then the other one as I felt it suited the tree better. I will keep a close eye on it for the next few weeks as although the weather is getting much warmer, a sudden cold spell could cause it problems

IMG_4148.JPGIMG_4144.JPGIMG_4152.JPG

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That’s a lot of fine fiber root growth....healthy.

Top Bottom