Ceramic Rock Planting

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was curious what the Bnut community thought of this. This is like the 5th one I’ve done and can see that my skills have improved so I had the courage to post it for others to see. My first one sold to someone I know. But I really enjoy making these. I still have to do wire and drainage holes, the feet (which aren’t pronounced and blend in) as well as carve out the inside. I know they will never be a real rock. But as I make them it is enjoyable to create the pockets for trees or other plants. I also make it so that when the top container area is watered the water will feed into all the other pockets. I have many other ideas to do. Probably the coolest thing to me is creating a type of habitat and scene that emulates nature. 8E68FB83-93A7-4E54-93E0-9A3BB6AAE32B.jpegFB889BDF-1CF2-4754-8675-2C90D8539470.jpeg3A205347-0DD4-4716-BDD8-DB3AD5FB99A0.jpeg226CA79E-0951-4FAD-B3CF-CD4C9B12DFDD.jpeg

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the playful waves in the design but I wouldn't call it a rock, because it's so smooth.
It's a cool container, that's what it is!
I imagined water flowing when I did the wavy movements with a rock like shape. I guess I should just think rock lol if I want to make it look more like a rock. But after posting I thought, this doesn’t really look like a rock lol. I look forward to getting these and future ones in the online store I am making as well as seeing what I can do with them myself. Thank you for your thoughts on it! 🙂

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know what you call it but it looks fun.
I think they will be as well. This one is pretty big. I want to do ones suited for all size tree’s. I can see mame and shohin size going in here and maybe something larger on top. I thought a forest would look really cool on top!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is very cool! I can see it fully planted with little plants, mosses and a tree on the top. Fully planted I’m imagining it looking like a coral reef with plants instead of coral. It’s definitely something unique and very interesting. Do you have specific plants in mind when you make the little pockets? Have you ever considered doing one with a central reservoir that pumps up water via trickle pump then flows down and around like a little stream to all the pockets watering them along it’s way then returning to the reservoir at the bottom? I could see that being the centerpiece of a terrarium or a stand alone display.

Last edited:

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is very cool! I can see it fully planted with little plants, mosses and a tree on the top. Fully planted I’m imagining it looking like a coral reef with plants instead of coral. It’s definitely something unique and very interesting. Do you have specific plants in mind when you make the little pockets? Have you ever considered doing one with a central reservoir that pumps up water via trickle pump then flows down and around like a little stream to all the pockets watering them along it’s way then returning to the reservoir at the bottom? I could see that being the centerpiece of a terrarium or a stand alone display.
On this one I thought a forest on top with some smaller cascading tree’s on the sides going down. And thought I would not put drain holes on the bottom and allow water to pool in there with aquatic plants. I thought that making these would be just fun to work with and to create a composition with for people. Primarily because there are many areas well suited for roots.
I have been thinking of all kinds of ideas lol. Every time I make one it is more intriguing and has brought more possibilities into reality with my ability. You are very right it does very much resemble coral. There will be more to come. I’ll keep them posted here. Thanks for your input as well!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is my first one I made that has been completed. I really find this glaze fitting for these pieces. It resembles lava rock to me.
0bff5663-2abe-4081-be90-f134a4d91345-jpeg.466549

Attachments

• 0BFF5663-2ABE-4081-BE90-F134A4D91345.jpeg
    0BFF5663-2ABE-4081-BE90-F134A4D91345.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 182

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thought that struck as I posted the last comment.

Would it be possible to design one that has a water reservoir at the bottom, and a pump, such that you could plug it in and and have a self watering mountain stream scene?

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let me know if you need a buyer for that 1st one ;)
I do! I just put it in my Etsy store. I have some good deals right now. Trying to get my work out and receive feedback. I am doing free shipping in the US with a lot of discounted pieces. Here is a link www.etsy.com/shop/BrightsideBonsai

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thought that struck as I posted the last comment.

Would it be possible to design one that has a water reservoir at the bottom, and a pump, such that you could plug it in and and have a self watering mountain stream scene?
Yeah that would be cool! And totally possible. The size would dictate a lot of the cost to doing one. I think for the reservoir a bluish glaze would look cool to refract through the water.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do! I just put it in my Etsy store. I have some good deals right now. Trying to get my work out and receive feedback. I am doing free shipping in the US with a lot of discounted pieces. Here is a link www.etsy.com/shop/BrightsideBonsai

I didn't see that first one...maybe someone snarfed it already?!? But I did buy two other ones...

Top Bottom