Ceramic, Unglazed, or Plastic Pots?

Joe58

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Me again. Sorry.

Another perhaps foolish question about pots.

In browsing around, I see ceramic pots both glazed and unglazed. To my eye, these look the nicest. I’ve also noticed some are really spendy, but most can be had pretty reasonably,

And I’ve seen basic looking plastic models.

Does it really make a difference, or just go with what looks good to you?

Thanks!

Joe

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As long as the dimensions of the pot are correct, and there is adequate drainage, the tree probably doesn't care.

However bonsai as an art form involves pairing a tree and a pot. The proper selection of a pot - its shape, color, finish, patina - is an art in and of itself. Many high-end Japanese bonsai are displayed in pots that are worth more than the tree! It is ok when starting out with beginner trees to use beginner pots. But as you advance your bonsai horticultural skills, make sure you also improve your pot inventory :) This does not always mean spending $$$. Many people enjoy ceramics as a hobby and I know quite a few bonsai enthusiasts who have gotten into ceramics in order to create pots for their trees.

The good news about buying expensive pots is that it is relatively hard to kill a pot :)

Last edited:

Joe58

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is for sure! I don’t have quite that artistic of an eye. My own preference though is for earth tones, rather than brighter colors. Even in the way I dress. Lol.

I really do enjoy seeing the trees that folks have produced and displayed. Just amazing.

I watched a video yesterday about a Japanese bonsai scissor maker, whose scissors can run several thousand dollars. I doubt one can find those at Walmart. ;)

There doesn’t really seem to be local stores near me that stock bonsai pots, other than the occasional one here or there. So I need to mail order, when I really would rather see them in person. But you do what you need to do.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Plastic pots are used as training pots as the tree is getting developed. You would never use a plastic pot in a show.

Glazed pots are generally best suited for deciduous and broadleaf evergreen trees.

Conifers generally best displayed in unglazed pots.

These are general guidelines, and there can be exceptions. But, as BonsaiNut stated, pairing pots and trees is an art in itself.

When I first started, I didn’t care about pots. As long as it held the tree’s soil in place, I was happy. Now, 50 years later, I prefer those “antique Chinese” pots! Lol!!!

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you just want to enjoy growing and refining a (pre-)bonsai a plastic pot works just as well. They are often also a bit deeper so the tree will have more space for roots.
Once it is a fancy tree you can buy an expensive pot that complements the tree.

You wouldn't put an old well trained tree in a plastic pot but an antique pot with a young twig also doesn't make sense.

Joe58

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Question related to pot size, I’ve read to go with 2/3 the size of the plant. Correct?

I’d be happy just to go to a nice show. Im too old now to ever have time to turn out anything worthy of displaying for others. But that’s ok.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Question related to pot size, I’ve read to go with 2/3 the size of the plant. Correct?

I’d be happy just to go to a nice show. Im too old now to ever have time to turn out anything worthy of displaying for others. But that’s ok.
There are no hard and fast formulas.

There are just too many variables.

Google “bonsai trees”, and browse thru the images. You will see both good and bad bonsai. Try to figure out what it is that makes the good bonsai attractive, and what it is that makes the bad bonsai unattractive. This will help you develop “an eye”.

Then try to make your bonsai have the attributes that make bonsai attractive and avoid having the bad attributes.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As a medium cost alternative, you could look at mica pots. One source: http://www.greenthumbbonsai.com/MicaPots.html To my eye, typical plastic pots don't look good and get worse as they weather. But I sometimes use them because my pot budget is limited. The mica pots look much better when new and hold up better over time.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Think in terms of complementing your tree.

If you have a feminine tree with flowers, you would tend to use a feminine pot with smooth lines and a complementary glaze.

If you have a craggy masculine tree, you would tend to use a masculine pot with straight lines and a grounded, heavy look to it.

If you have a tree with clean smooth bark, you might consider a smoother finish than a tree with rough bark. A tree that looks like it is hanging from the side of a cliff might look good displayed in a pot that suggests as much.

This is just to give you a general direction...

Last edited:
Top Bottom