Chamaecyparis Thyoides Nursery Find

girv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Found these two Atlantic White Cypress trees for $14 each and thought they had some great potential. I haven't been able to find a ton of info on them from a bonsai perspective, but it seems like I can treat them similar to Hinoki, looking for all feedback here. They seem to have pretty tight foliage but the trunks and taper are where I saw a lot of promise; one might make a nice formal upright and the other has a lot of movement. I don't have any before pictures but removed about 40% of foliage to allow light to get towards the inner branches as it sounds like these do not backbud easily. Tons of healthy roots and they were actually in halfway decent soil but almost pushing themselves out of the pots, not exactly rootbound. I repotted one in better soil, only removed maybe 20% of roots and might wait for the other one as I am hesitant to do too much on both and kill them quickly. Feedback and thoughts appreciated, especially on this cultivar!

Attachments

• IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2826.jpg
    IMG_2826.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2829.jpg
    IMG_2829.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2830.jpg
    IMG_2830.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2831.jpg
    IMG_2831.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2834.jpg
    IMG_2834.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2833.jpg
    IMG_2833.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2835.jpg
    IMG_2835.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: Jas

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great finds! Great potential. You might consider the long haul process of making them into world class trees by planting them in the ground for an extended period, however ... check out my tutorial in the resources section, "The Importance of Starting With a Great Trunk." Good eye! and best of luck!!

girv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey @armetisius Did you ever have any luck with your Atlantic White Cedar? Found your post from a few years back.

girv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Autumn update on these two. Both have shown back budding which was great to see and unexpected. I did way too much for the informal upright tree (foliage reduction and repot) and I fear that one might not make it. I know these are not super popular in bosai, but if anyone has any feedback on the browning foliage tips it's very much appreciated. The formal upright tree had foliage reduced but kept in the same put and has had explosive growth and seems very healthy. From my research, these grow naturally in swampy areas so I have been watering more than most of my other trees.

My plan for spring is to repot the formal upright, let the informal recover if it doesnt die over the winter and continue to cut back/reduce foliage over the next few years. Feedback appreciated.

Here are the brown tips, most of the lower branches were backbudding a bit but that has slowed down over the past few weeks. I imagine this tree being reduced by 50% in height eventually.

Last edited:

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Any updates on these ? I picked one of these up because the great nibari but it’s a little more leggy then I’d like. Curious if I could chop it back and get back bidding or not.

I know I could bring the branches down and flatten them as but but would love to use this as an upright.

Also anyone know why they randomly yellow? I have been watering mine and only cleaned out the junk really didn’t mess with the tree and I’ve had random portions yellow an look like they were dying.

Attachments

• AA69D11E-C418-437A-AE0C-3DD0643C68E8.jpeg
    AA69D11E-C418-437A-AE0C-3DD0643C68E8.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 43
  • D6B29C6F-511C-465D-B79F-C716A7FBBFA1.jpeg
    D6B29C6F-511C-465D-B79F-C716A7FBBFA1.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 62

girv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
from my personal experience, sadly both died and I assume from being too aggressive early on. I also never found much guidance on these, but if someone has successful experience I would love to hear about it as they had a lot of potential visually. When I see more I will probably grab 1 or two and try again.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
from my personal experience, sadly both died and I assume from being too aggressive early on. I also never found much guidance on these, but if someone has successful experience I would love to hear about it as they had a lot of potential visually. When I see more I will probably grab 1 or two and try again.
The two I grabbed had great trunks and nibari but one of mine started dying immediately which I don’t understand as I cut one branch. Not sure if maybe it dried out or what but it turned brown really fast.

Top Bottom