Chanting I will not break my resolution for 2019 before it even starts

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is not. I didn't even see it. I was looking at FB Auction group that starts on Tuesday and ends on Saturday. Is that where you got this one? I know there is also a .99 Auction group as well as a third, less busy, site.

But I do like the roots!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@coachspinks Bet you thought I was after the clump quince then? No, this was old school, eBay. My son was doing night driving and highway experience with the instructor the night I found the listing. Was needing distractions...and staying out of social media sites. Didn't need to hear of any possible accidents while he was not home.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@coachspinks Bet you thought I was after the clump quince then? No, this was old school, eBay. My son was doing night driving and highway experience with the instructor the night I found the listing. Was needing distractions...and staying out of social media sites. Didn't need to hear of any possible accidents while he was not home.
Ah, you got me on that one...and I was betting on the quince!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This explains why I couldn't find it on any of the facebook groups! So what type of tree is it? Can't tell from the pic.
It's BUTT UGLY currently. Leggy as heck. Needs a good cut back, tight canopy. But was talking to Matt Smith about it and he said I may want to leave it as is so the branches thicken up more. Dang...he has a good point too. Means I will be starring at a lanky ugly tree for longer I intended. It's a forsythia. Which I think I need some more research.

Dale Cochoy's archive thread comment stated to cover cuts with cut paste with the branches hollow. Rockm mentioned he had heard they were difficult as well...because of the hollow branches. But...others have success...I need to learn what that success trick is. Deep pots was one thing I did learn.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wonder how many of us trolled thru fb auction site to find this... raise your hands....?
My hand is among those raised. For his comment made me curious. I love a good clump...but, they don't call me Neagari Gal for nothing. Living up to my name I reckon. I seen the hidden potential in this material.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, the misfit is in the mailing system and heading my way. ? I would lie to say I am not somewhat excited. The tracking number states should be here by Thursday. Unsure if I should just keep this the misfits thread. Or eventually start another one officially.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The tree arrived and...IT ISN'T UGLY AT ALL! Just needs one's attention to pruning for shape and a bit of wire. Currently in cold greenhouse wondering what the heck...it came from Niceville,Florida. Even the container isn't bad...if it happens to bloom earlier than I can safely repot. The seller sent me a rooted cutting. I stuck it in a pot with small fines. So not to disturb the roots. Shrugs if it makes it . But that was nice of him.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Stolen from over on the resolution thread for 2019
Crap on a cracker! ? came back to remind myself of this. Up on auction...clump. Roots aren't a factor, I would plant it deeper. Clump. (((Sigh)))Nandina Compacta a.k.a. Holy Bamboo is what it is called. I need talked off a ledge guys.

The species does not come up in a search of our forum which had me pause...

View attachment 221864View attachment 221865
Julian has a nandina、a different one maybe.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/nandina-bamboo.25350/#post-607511

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So...grabbed a shot of it today. That removed wire that was only in the lower cascade branch. I intend to use that as a sacrifice branch to continue to thicken the back trunk of the forsythia. (Direction from Matt Smith on that one.) Once it blooms I will cut back and decide on a direction the remainder of the tree.
20190111_110226.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The flower buds are so full on the upper part of the tree. I don't wish to knock them off, but I tried to add some order. The one tallest apex branch needs pruned back a smidgeon, but waiting for the blooms first. Figured it wasn't overly horrible leaving it as is for now.really liking this tree. Even in its dormant state.

image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Someone mentioned the roots looked like they needed more development. Maybe I shouldn't have bound them with fine wire to make it more compact. Thoughts on the roots?
Maybe they do look better looser... @MACH5 @JudyB @ghues or anyone else for that matter. Let's add @thumblessprimate1 as well...he loves and appreciates exposed root.
image.jpg

Last edited:

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Someone mentioned the roots looked like they needed more development. Maybe I shouldn't have bound them with fine wire to make it more compact. Thoughts on the roots?
Maybe they do look better looser... @MACH5 @JudyB @ghues or anyone else for that matter. Let's add @thumblessprimate1 as well...he loves and appreciates exposed root.
View attachment 223245
I don't know the best direction to take this、but
I think it might be a good idea to continue developing the roots、maturing、thickening and sprouting more. Only two of the roots appear to have interesting movements. I'd get it into a growing pot.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes it doesn't need to be looser, you just need more of them.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know the best direction to take this、but
I think it might be a good idea to continue developing the roots、maturing、thickening and sprouting more. Only two of the roots appear to have interesting movements. I'd get it into a growing pot.
Well, that wasn't what I was expecting. Will have to chew in that one. Thanks though. I may be able to add movement at repot. They seem flexible to a degree. So I can maybe add movement to what is there. I guess I see Smoke's exposed elm when I see this one. His don't have many roots...

Top Bottom