China/display cabinet with a grow light. A terrible idea?

xdBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey guys!

My first post will be an odd one. I don't think this is practical but it couldn't hurt to ask.
I live in an apartment in central Ontario with a balcony, Zone 6 (I believe, our system can be funny). I'm willing to grow outdoors during spring and summer, but I currently have a Fukien tea which can't tolerate our winters.

I can't afford a large, nice storage area right now and recently happened upon a very large, nice display cabinet. I don't own china or anything else intended to be presented, though, besides my bonsai.
It looks much like the attached photo. It has a small display light at the top that no longer works, but because of it, has a cutout at the top to wire a cable through.

I was thinking of mounting either an LED strip/long light or ideally an HLG 65 or 100 (which should just barely fit). Quite frankly I think it might look good under the right circumstances, but the cabinet is solid wood so I'd worry about high humidity and consistently higher than normal temperatures from the light. I also can't be entirely certain with my experience of whether or not this will be all that beneficial to the plants. Will that light be sufficient, or too much?

Otherwise, they'll relax in front of a sun-facing window for the winter.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Attachments

• chinacabinet.jpg
    chinacabinet.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 10

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I just use decorative plant stands inside for the winter, relatively inexpensive.

xdBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I just use decorative plant stands inside for the winter, relatively inexpensive.
I forgot to mention I also have two cats who love to snack on my trees leaves, so my cabinet also doubles well as protection from them, haha.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I forgot to mention I also have two cats who love to snack on my trees leaves, so my cabinet also doubles well as protection from them, haha.
I guess my cat is lazy. She might sniff on them when they first come in, but never bothers them. Give your cats more treats, they'll leave the trees alone.:) I would be concerned about no air circulation closed up in that cabinet.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, you need air circulation to avoid molds & mildew which likes wood, like cabinetry. It wouldn't take too long for the doors to not fit, or close, or open. Buy new cats, they're a dime a dozen;)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The cabinet won't last more than a season if used for your purpose. You would be better off getting a plastic shelf and put up some animal screen and a heavy duty plastic tray underneath to protect the floor from water spillage. With a bit of work, it actually could like nice enough to be in the house.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd skip the display case. You're already going to have problems with air circulation (which is important for trees) inside. Enclosing them in a case will make things worse. Also as pointed out, the display case is going to take a beating with water, soil etc. More trouble than it's worth. As for the cats, make a wire cage that fits over the tree. Cats are the worst... 😁

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd use a free fishtank with a screen lid.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a terrarium with a couple plants, even with two fans continuously venting the case, black mold gets the upper hand every time. Especially if the situation is tropical.
This can lead to human issues as well, like Bad Air Syndrome (which is more common than you'd expect!).
Enclosed cabinets also give pests like spider mites and trips/thrips a chance to thrive in stable conditions.

A screened window sill is probably a better situation. A little wooden frame is easy to make and it's also pretty easy to make it cat proof.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've honestly seen worse ideas.
But yes, ventilation will be your biggest issue. If you feel comfortable modifying it for some vents and fans, refinishing it with something more water resistant, maybe some mods to the shelves to handle dripping and overflow, you might be able to make it work.

The trick with ventilation is to not fight physics. Warm air rises, so make sure there's a vent in the top, then one on the opposite corner at the bottom. That alone can create a steady slow flow of air. Add a fan blowing in the bottom and another sucking out at the top, and you should have some very decent air flow. You may have to completely re-do the shelves to make it work optimally.
Similar concepts are routinely used in architecture, and middle eastern architecture is famous for it.

Frankly, everyone so far is right, as is it' won't be great. It's a matter of whether you're up for the level of mods it would take to make it work. It could simply be more expensive or more work than you feel it's worth.

xdBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I certainly didn't think it through as well as I could have. I'll prep a better alternative before winter starts hitting harder.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I agree with what everyone is saying regarding airflow concerns, but I will say I have seen this idea executed well (these homemade grow cabinets are popular with collectors of rare houseplants). Hell, this is not far off from my indoor cannabis grow (same idea but a tent not a cabinet). If you want to pursue this idea and you are okay with modifying the cabinet, I've liked what I have seen from AC Infinity. They have tons of different options for exhaust fans. I do agree this might all be overkill if you're simply looking to overwinter some trees, just wanted to ensure you that your idea isn't totally wild.

Cdcurnick

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Check out the facebook group “Ikea Greenhouse Club”… lots of people modify ikea and non-ikea cabinets for the purposes of growing plants. It will give you some great ideas.

In short you could do this, but would need to seal the cabinet, add fans, something for humidity depending on the goal,

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not just take out the glass and even the back of the cabinet and use it, basically, as an open shelving unit? You could even put the whole thing right in front of the window.
It sounds like your purpose is for a good looking display for tropicals, rather than an indoor grow operation.

Top Bottom